Kentucky SB244--Direct Shipping

I just received an e-mail with the following information:

Greetings,
I have been working on “Direct to Consumer” wine shipping into KY. for over 3 years. WE ARE VERY CLOSE TO SUCCESS. I need your help.
SB244 is a bill that deals only with the direct shipment of wine. Other bills are out there, but this is a stand alone Wine Shipping bill.
Legislators tell me they get more calls requesting this change in the law than any other.

Please send emails to the following:
robert.stivers@lrc.ky.gov
damon.thayer@lrc.ky.gov
dan.seum@lrc.ky.gov
Kathy.lewis@lrc.ky.gov (This is the address for Senator Schickel).

In order to make this a successful effort, please send your emails today or tomorrow. The current schedule is to meet only four days this week. Please feel free to call me if you have ANY questions.
Cut & paste this email and send to all of YOUR wine loving friends.
You can send just ONE email listing all four of these recipients. You can use your own words or cut and paste the following.

Dear Senator,
Currently, 44 States have direct shipping for wine. KY yet again being the last to catch on to a good thing. This request is a consumer based effort. Please pass SB244! Thank you!

If you are in Kentucky and support this bill, please help by e-mailing your support to the committee members listed above.

Details of the proposed bill:

_SB 244/CI/LM (BR 1418) - S. West, J. Adams, M. Wise

AN ACT relating to the direct shipment of wine to consumers.
Create a new section of KRS Chapter 243 to establish a wine direct shipper license for wine manufacturers, producers, suppliers, importers, wholesalers, and retailers; establish packaging requirements for shipment, require all taxes due to be paid to the Department of Revenue and grant the Department of Revenue audit authority; permit licensees to ship to addresses located in dry and moist territories; amend KRS 243.030 to establish a $100 initial licensing fee and a $50 renewal fee; amend KRS 243.990 to make violation of Section 1 of the Act a Class B misdemeanor for the first offense and a Class A misdemeanor for each subsequent offense.

Mar 01, 2018 - introduced in Senate
Mar 05, 2018 - to Licensing, Occupations, & Administrative Regulations (S)_

Good luck!

Good luck. I got involved in this effort in Maryland in 2000. All I got out of it was the head of alcohol regulation monitoring posts on wine boards trying to discredit my testimony. Finally got it fixed in about 2009. Never underestimate the effect of entrenched interests buying votes.

Is Free The Grapes involved in this? I assume they are or maybe that email came from them. I admire their effort.

I found out last night that the bill has passed both chambers of the house. Now we are waiting to see if the Governor will sign the bill.

Good luck!

does this go hand-in-hand with the recently passed bill about shipping liquors in KY?

I heard some discussion about this but don’t remember the details.