Dom Pérignon 2006 vs 2009

My local shop has both the DP 06 and 09 listed for $145. They both have tremendous reviews and accolades, but if you had to buy one, which would you pick? Don’t say both lol Now I’m thinking I need to go back and double check they don’t have an 02 sitting behind these for the same price (doubtful)

This would be for opening on a potential anniversary or birthday down the road

I think the 09 is richer and more opulent, whereas to me the 06 was crisp and fresh; I personally like the 09 a bit more but they’re both great.

I’ve had the 06 vs 09 and would go with the 09. It’s cleaner, tight, and bright; will probably live longer.

Definitely 09

I have tasted today for the first time Dom Pé 2009 and I have been very impressed. It is an archetypal Dom Pé, excatly in the line of what Richard Geoffroy wants to make.

I agree on the fact that I would choose 2009.

Wait… what happened to all the fans of the 06?

I really like 06 but also prefer 09.

I have some of each - have only tried the 06. But I do remember a lot of positive comments on the 06

Cheers

I’ll be the dissenter…I prefer the 06. To each his own, I suppose.

I’ve had both recently. I think they’re pretty different wines so it may depend on what you like. The 06 is very focused, with great freshness and acidity, but more richness than 04. The 09 is richer and more opulent but with good acidity and structure. I prefer the 09 but they’re both great.

Buy both. Open both. Pour a glass of each vintage into and then, and this is where it gets totally crazy, mix the two vintages in a third glass. Try all three and report back with the results.

I have opened tonight 1990 Dom Pérignon.
At this moment, 1990 is so high above 2006 or 2009.
Age plays in favour of the older one.
A fantastic Dom Pérignon.

I had the two across a weekend recently, the '06 didn’t excite me (or anyone else), the '09 did- Not as much as the '80 Oeno did, but I think the '09 is the one I would buy in quantities.

How does Dom compare with krug? Appear to be similar price points. Haven’t really dabbled with champagne much

That’s a big topic to tackle. Krug grand cuvee (non-vintage) is grossly similar in price to DP. As far as how they compare, that’s very vintage dependent but in general Krug is a bit oxidative, richer and more opulent while DP is more reductive, fresher and somewhat more acidity driven but that’s a huge overgeneralization.

Personally, I tend to find Dom a little sweeter and less acid-driven than Krug GC.

As for the topic, 2006 Dom wowed me on multiple occasions near release but it seems to have entered into a period of slumber. 2009 is drinking pretty awesome right now and is an outstanding Dom, although it hasn’t wowed me quite like the 2006 did on release. So if I was buying to drink now, 2009 for sure. To hold, I’d probably grab both vintages with a slight preference for the 2006, as I do believe it has all the stuffing to become wonderful.

Ive found the 164 and 160 gc to be quite acid driven, others not so much.

I was unimpressed by the 06 the other night but then DP generally does not impress me.