TN: 2014 Domaine Jacques Carillon Puligny-Montrachet

• 2014 Domaine Jacques Carillon Puligny-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet (3/21/2018)
    I just LOVE this wine, drinks so much more than its village. Pristine crystalline fruits with a laser beam brightness of lemon/lime acidity, yet creamed up to 1er levels with sea salted honey, exotic vanilla barrel spice. Has everything I love in WB…chalky powdery minerals, integrated match strike, white flower/ lime blossom florals, energized 2014-ness. I’d like to blind this one day with the top Les Perrières…PM or Meursault! :wink: (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Totally agree, Buzz,

The 2014 blew me away, when I popped one a few months back–but a lot of 2014 whites have been doing that.

As always, thanks for the great note (and pic!)

I’m glad you get and drink the Carillons so I always get to see your notes :slight_smile:
You need to develop some discipline / self-control though - that’s a 7-10 year ageing proposition with the Village! Just finished my '05s that are still travelling well. Out of the 1ers, do you have a preference between the Referts and Perrieres?

Drank it a year ago,
Thought it needed plenty of time

Around here, that’s roughly a $100 wine, if you can find it.

I sold some from one source for $75 and some from another for $60. I drank the 2015 Carillon Chassagne-Montrachet Macherelles last night and, based upon it, one can see why some producers believe the 2015 whites to be of very high quality.

Coronado, CA is approximately 2500 miles from around here .

Although even $60 for a village wine would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

That would have to be a Thanksgiving or Christmas wine.

Big fan of Perrieres…just love the crushed geology and energy, its precision…and that pretty shimmering gold green color. Referts a little richer, more mineral funk, but still carries a vein of energy as well. If Carillon is on the label…I get excited!

[cheers.gif]

You use something as magical as the internet but you don’t believe in something like shipping?

$60 is a lot of money for a bottle of wine. Not only would such a bottle be a Thanksgiving or Christmas wine for some, it would be a “never” wine for most. However, where you live is not a basis to complain about the price of a wine, although I can see your seemly steady diet of the pills that you mention causing you to make it. Perhaps one too many contributed to this recent piece of wisdom from you: “Burgundy is just about off-limits to millionaires these days - it’s largely now the sole province of billionaires. To assemble a case of Burgundy which you’d enjoy drinking would cost you the better part of $100,000.”

???

Dude, the price is what the price is - I’m just relaying the reality of life on the ground around here.

Sadly, I’m now old enough now to remember when the Louis Carillon Village PM was a $30 wine in our market.

And the Old-Timers on this board can probably remember Louis Carillon 1er Crus as $30 wines.

For Christmas this year, we had a $65 lieux-dit cote-de-nuits rouge, purchased locally [& competitive with the lowest prices nationally on Wine-Searcher], which was a very pleasant [if utterly unmemorable] $15 table wine with ludicrously pretentious notions of its own worth.

Personally, I’ll happily trust Buzzini’s word that Jacques Carillon is making dynamite wines from his share of the inheritance, but my enjoyment of those wines will have to dwell entirely in my imagination [from having perused notes like Buzzini’s].

Some not-so-old timers as well. My recollection is the PM was $25-30, Perrieres and Referts upper $30s to low $40s, and that the prices really started to escalate with the 99s.

One of the most satisfying 6packs I’ve ever purchased (thanks Gangas!)…unfortunately this is the last bottle! [cry.gif] Love it just like the other 5! As the last note…just maybe a tad more sweetness in this one? Simply grand! [worship.gif]

Is Justin the new winemaker here, now? If so, any views?