Sub $15 Cab or Am I Really Off Base?

On a different board that will go unnamed someone was asking for $10-15 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon that are favorites and easily found.

I, somewhat jokingly, asked if it were a joke and mentioned that it must be a trick question. I don’t typically find much sub $15 (regular priced) Cab very drinkable. I offered up some decent Cotes du Rhône as a drinkable alternative in that price range.

For whatever reason, I was wholly downvoted. I’m not really looking for reassurance that I’m right as drinkability is ultimately subjective, but am I really that unreasonable to think that most sub $15, regular priced cab (and pinot for that matter) generally sucks? Am I just a jerk?

I fell in love with the $12/btl “Rosebud Vineyard” Cabernet Sauvignon from Snoqualmie before it was realized that they could make a lot more money blending the juice into a $25/btl Bordeaux-style red.

I still think that Washington State offers some insane deals on Cab Sauv and Merlot.

Straight Cab? I agree. Sure, there are probably some exceptions that prove the rule, but…

Bdx blend, however, presents more options. Especially if Bdx futures are fair game.

If I’m not mistaken most Snoqualmie wine is incredibly cheap. In fact, it is owned by Chateau Ste Michelle and could almost be considered a budget label.

I’m not questioning your statement as I can’t recall trying that particular wine, but Snoqualmie’s current red blend is $8-10 and is pretty garbage.

Yeah, seemed they were looking for a “varietal” Cabernet.

I am with you on Bdx and Bdx futures, but even then at a $15 regular price hard stop there isn’t much I’d want to drink. Sure, some that aren’t terrible but nothing that I’d find remotely compelling.

Again, am I an asshat or is there really just so little value to be had in Cab?

The answer could be both?

I think it’s difficult in California and Bordeaux, where prices have inflated. Lanessan isn’t varietal Cabernet, but it’s mostly Cabernet and I think it can be awesome, drinkable, and interesting and a keen eye can find it for $15 USD.

I think you’d need to look to less fashionable areas to get interesting Cab for $15. Perhaps Washington. I haven’t tasted anything cheap from WA that would meet your criteria, but it may exist.

I think South Africa makes the best bargain wine on the planet. I’ve bought lots of Cabernet, Syrah, Chardonnay and Chenin Blanc, for $15 - $20 CAD that is compelling, interesting, and delicious, and blind you’d guess it costs double or triple the price. The plunging value of the SA Rand I’m sure has something to do with it. It’s just not a fashionable region. Case in point, you barely ever see any threads about SA wines on this board.

I make no representations of esteem for the regular Cab Sauv (or any other wine from Snoqualmie - albeit the Syrah gets regular praise from Wine & Spirits). When I worked at the wine shop the “Rosebud Vineyard” flew off the shelf. It was a small-production (3,000 C’s) bottling, and it was stellar for the price. Alas, as it no longer exists, my point is rather moot.

As for current Washington Cab/Bordeaux-style wines <$15/btl, I would recommend the Columbia Crest “Horse Heaven Hills” (“H3”) Cabernet or the Cab/Mer blend.

Wines of substance cs is around $15, also tapiz and haras di pirque cabs from Argentina and Chile, respectively aren’t bad.

Columbia Crest, definitely. Nice, easy drinker. Great value.

Glenelly (recently offered sub $14 by Winex) is a fantastic wine for the price

Very true, but I’d certainly hope not.

Avoiding spoof juice in the <$15 price range for Cab with wide distribution is really tough, if not impossible. Chili used to be the most reliable source but it seems like they’ve succumbed to widespread use of post-fermentation additives as well.

Imo, a new category of wine should be created that’s called “wine beverage” or something similar to help consumers distinguish between products. Certainly, there’s a huge market for people who prefer the “wine beverage” styles (as evidenced by bourbon barrel wines) but weeding through them really becomes a chore for someone who prefers “wine” that tastes like non-spoof wine.

Though it is not a straight Cab, Bonny Doon makes a Bordeaux blend called “A Proper Claret”, that runs $16 online and not much higher at retail. The blend percentages change from vintage to vintage, but is a quality bottle ar this price point. One of the few wines I buy by the case.

We’ve had some pretty inexpensive cabs win some of our wine tastings over the years. In 2012 it was the $10 Liberte’ from Trader Joes (not so good lately).

Then more recently it was the $10 H3 (Horse Heaven Hills) cab from Columbia Crest. This is usually a good one year after year scoring around 89pts in WS for 2017.

Agreed. South Africa is a good source for inexpensive cabs and blends which have both fruit and some character/complexity.

DANGER, THREAD DRIFT!

Yay!

Mike! It’s great to see you!

If it is kosher to do this:

If you don’t know Mike, he is a helluva guy, a most worthy person to wear the badge “Berserker!”

My heart is full of joy seeing him here and I have followed him from the start. He is a joyous seeker of blind tasting fun and his presence makes the hobby better!

I will stop effusing and allow the thread to get back on track.

[cheers.gif]

Oh, and one last thing for Mike…

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=133143

Exactly. So many think that you can ONLY get Cab from Napa and Bordeaux, but to get ‘value’ cab from those places is VERY difficult. Other regions offer so much for so little, it’s worth trying.

Chris, I agree with your comments. Looking through my local retailer, there aren’t many sub-$15 Cabernets that I would want to purchase. At that price point, you’re generally getting some uninspiring wines. CdR, Spain and Portugal offer much better quality at the price point.

I’m fond of the hussonet by haras di pirque for $10 and tapiz Alta collection cab (or Malbec) for $15.