What's the Most a Rose SHOULD Cost?

I am not talking about Blanc de Noir or Rose Champagne, here.

How much have you spent on a single bottle of still Rose wine?

How much should a Rose cost?

It’s actually a very interesting question to me and one that goes to the concept of QPR. I know that Tempier Rose is highly thought of and I’ve enjoyed many a bottle. That said, it’s about $40-45 per bottle these days and I find that there are several roses that I really love (more than the Tempier) in the $14-17 per bottle range.

Thus, I’ve spent in the mid-forties but don’t see why a great Rose can be produced for $15.

Recently, I have received a few allocation offers of rose that almost touched $100 and I was in shock… Rose prices appear to be out of control. Rose shouldn’t be more than 45 bucks for the top end stuff in my mind.

I usually buy Miraval and it runs around $22. In the past, I have purchased Domaines Ott a couple times (~$45). That has been the max for me.

For me depends entirely on the quality of the rose.

I’ve spent $40ish for Cotat rose and been tempted by the much more expensive Valentini but could never bring myself to pull the trigger. So I guess $90 is over my personal limit.

My wife has a favorite Rose from a Napa winery (not a board darling nor do they have their own vineyards). Due to rising prices of that wine and multiple purchases on BD last year. I didn’t buy any. She was not a happy camper .

So this year I went to buy it and it was close to $50 a bottle (with tax and shipping). I told her there was a 3 bottle max and bought 3. I just couldn’t buy any additional quantities.

Fugure we will do some local tastings at wine shops and find some other Roses that she likes for less money.

Or lately she’s been drinking more vodka and less wine so it may not matter come summertime .

$25. Thought I have spent as much as $40. Unless it’s champagne, where the sky is the limit.

Average cost of a still Rose over a full summer should be about $17

Most American saignee rose should come free with the red wine it was bled from.

Y’all ignorant. Don’t the poor laborers who have to peel the skin off the grapes by hand deserve a livable wage?

Damn you’re unconscionable!

What it should cost and what I’m willing to spend or probably two different things.

I have no idea if production costs are different for Rose, but the “enjoyment/price ratio” does seem more in my favor for Rose than other types. I understand Larry at Tercero puts quite a lot of care into his Rose, while other producers are using leftovers as an afterthought, for example.

That said, I don’t see the need in spending over $20 unless it comes with a strong rec from someone I trust. My favorite Rose last year was a $12 Corsican.

It “shouldn’t” cost more than Tempier or Musar, imo. So, by today’s rates, $45 - $50.

Whatever Larry’s Tercero Rose costs. Each time I open a bottle, friends and I are so happy.

Just purchased Rose from Limerick Lane for $24per yesterday.

What it “should” cost, is up to the producer and supply and demand, I think. If the wine is excellent, and there is a big demand for it, why should Rose be any different than whites, reds or Rose Champagne?

To me, Tempier is one of the bottlings that set the standard. I wish it was cheaper, but it is within what I am willing to pay. I usually have to spend around $20 to find satisfying Rose. To me that has high acidity, savory and mineral accents, no bubble gum and maybe just a hint of red fruit. My go-to’s around $20 are Montenidoli Caniauolo, Boulay Chavignol, Vaccelli Ajaccio and Pibarnon.

So for me, I would pay up to the mid 40’s, but am quite happy around $20.

Anywhere from $15-$25 for me. Anything over $25 has to be awfully damn special.

Tempier Bandol Rose tops it out for me just under $40.00

I have zero heartburn spending $40 for Tempier. If you stop thinking “how much should I pay for a rose” and realize that it’s a damn good wine at that price, it stops being a problem. We all routinely buy and drink $40 wine that isn’t as good as Tempier rose.

Hmmm, I’d pay 25 bucks not to have to drink one.

LOL. The Leve-ian answer is whatever the market will bear, and I hope Larry gets $150/bottle for his.

But yeah, not interested.

We usually cap it at 20-25. Lots of decent stuff for that price. Always looking for more suggestions though.

Chateau Simone Palette is a pretty special rosé. From what I can see it sell around $60 in the US. It can easily age 10-15 years. Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo is another of these darker and more structured rosé (or light red wines) that can take on some age and be pretty serious, with a price tag to match it.

The idea of posting a thread like this was born in my head from an email offer from a Napa-based winery.

They wanted ~$55 for a Rose!!! It was also estate-grown, but saignee method, and 14.2% alc.