Top 10 white Burgundy producers in your cellar

We have an interesting thread on what Burgundy producers make up most of the Burgundies in your cellar. Most (but certainly not all) the producers listed are red wine producers (or firms like Bouchard or Drouhin that make both reds and whites). I thought it would be interesting to see what a similar thread on the top 10 white Burgundy producers (by quantity of bottles) in your cellar will bring up. For many of us, we are trying to manage the numbers of white Burgundies in our cellars because of premox, not keeping the wines as long as one would have done a generation ago, but still I thought this would be interesting and informative as to what others like.

For me,

Moreau-Naudet
PYCM
Dublere
Bernard Moreau
Caroline Morey
Ramonet
Drouhin
Christian Moreau
Bouchard
[there would be a large tie for 10th with not that many bottles of any one of them]

For me, the numbers of bottles of each are much smaller than the numbers for reds. Moreau-Naudet lept into first place for two reasons. One, I tried to buy some after Stephane Moreau died (which happened about a month or two after we visited him for the first time). Second, we had a party last summer at our country club and served 2015 village Chablis for our white. We had a bunch left over that we are now enjoying. Without the leftover wine from the party, Moreau-Naudet would be in fifth.

I still have a fair share of white Burgundy in my cellar… though the ones I still buy from are now strictly limited to:

Ramonet
Roulot
Dauvissat
Jacques Carillon
Daniel Barraud
Sebastien Magnien

I have a few others left in the cellar from purchases made 5+ years ago, including Coche-Dury, Leflaive, Raveneau, Buisson-Charles, Pierre Morey and a few others.

The only value I can add to a “list” of producers is that the list has shrunk and I have absolutely no intention to seek more even if I’ve been impressed by a few wines I drank from Henri Germain or Armand Heitz, for instance. I drink much less white Burgundy than I used to. Riesling (in particular) has taken a much bigger part of my purchases and for these, the “bang for the buck” is -for my taste- vastly superior. But that is a completely different subject…

This one is easy:

Jadot

The one bottle of white Burgundy I still own is a 1990 Jadot Chevalier Montrachet Demoiselles

Thanks, Michael. Hope that you are doing well. I have only recently ordered my first wine from Heitz. I look forward to trying it.

Not familiar with Barraud or Magnien (know of other Magniens, but the wines are red). What can you tell me about them?

PYCM
Davissat
Ramonet
Sauzet
Jobbard
Monreau Naudet
Henri Boillot
Domaine de Cherisey
Paul Pillot
Raveneau

• Michel Niellon
  • Henri Boillot
  • Bouchard
  • Buisson Charles
  • Bonneau du Martray
  • Dauvissat
  • Marc Colin
    Then some Fevre, Prieur, Montille, Jadot.
    Lesson learned, I try to drink all bottles within 8-10 years maximum. I also buy less white Burg than before, and I drink more dry Riesling from Alsace and dry Chenin from Loire.

Less than 2% of my cellar is White Burg, I’d imagine that w/o the PremOx issues it would be closer to 15%.

Boillot
Leflaive
Niellon
Ramonet
Le Moine
Dauvissat
Leroy
Dureuil-Janthial
Coche Dury
de Vogue

My white Burg cellar is growing quickly :slight_smile:

1. PYCM
  2. Coche
  3. H. Boilot
  4. Joseph Drouhin

The rest is very small quantities…

Changed a lot in the Last years:
Boillot
Lafon
PYCM
Raveneau
Leflaive
Fevre
Roulot
Bouchard
Ramonet
Dauvissat

This one is easy:

Raveneau
PYCM
H Boillot

…and dwindling fast as I have hardly purchased any in the past few years apart from few Benjamin Leroux 2014 under screw cap.

Like many, white burg is a small part of my cellar (About 5%), but it’s a bit misleading because I actually drink a decent amount of it. I just tend to buy the lower tiers, or aged bottles if I can find them, and drink them fairly quickly. So in the last year or so it’s more like 13% of my consumption.

I neither buy the high end stuff that needs a lot of age, nor aged bottles in the market. Ah, premox fears!

Anyway, top 5 in cellar
Dauvissat
Collet
Latour-Giraud
Henri Boillot
PYCM

Top 5 Consumed
Leflaive
Sauzet
Billaud-Simon
H. Boillot
Roulot

Just off the top of my head, in no particular order:

Henri Boillot
Fevre
Roulot
Lamy
Christian Moreau
PYCM (haven’t bought much in a few years)
Dauvissat
Bouchard

Not buying much these days (almost no 15s). Getting priced out of many/most.

According to CT. Lots of 2s and 3s here. Don’t really buy WB any longer.

Ampeau
Bessin
BdM
Drouhin
J&S Dauvissat
Jadot
Lamy
Morey Blanc
Roulot
Villaine

With premox I have drastically narrowed the selection and buy a lot more bottles of each wine to ensure better odds of having several come out well. To that end I really only have two producers I buy every year in quantity- and it has been that way for a while, so there is not much else besides the following in descending order,

Ramonet
Bouzereau

PYCM
V Dancer
Tessier
Buisson-Charles
Lamy
H Boillot
B Simon
Vincent Girardin
P Pillot
Ramonet

Dauvissat
Louis Michel
Carillon
Jobard
Mikulski
Boillot
P. Pernod
Laurent Pillot

I’m doing well, thanks Howard. I am still enjoying wine as much as ever, just no time for writing about it :slight_smile:
I hope you are doing well too!

Daniel Barraud makes very interesting Pouilly-Fuissé and Mâcon wines. Very much in the style of wines I like, very mineral, classical style which value elegance over power. They age well and their QPR is hard to beat! If you can get your hands on any of his 14s, do not hesitate.
Sebastien Magnien is based in Meursault, he’s a young winemaker (he is about 30 years old) which makes rather elegant wines as well. The style is not as restrained as Roulot but I do really like the transparency of the wines. He produces villages Meursault since 2005 and a truly great Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières since 2011. He also makes very interesting reds, btw (I absolutely love his Volnay “Les Échards”). I enjoy them at least as much as his whites. Sebastien is not related to the other Magnien who are in the Côte de Nuits, afaik.

A massive portion of my cellar is WB. Top 6 (constrained by availability rather than my desires!)

• Carillon (Louis and Jacques)
  • Henri Boillot
  • Roulot
  • Sauzet
  • Dauvissat
  • Fevre

Then there’s a smattering of those with no more than about a case, often fewer - Piuze, Ramonet, Leflaive, Bouchard, Bonneau de Matray, Raveneau etc

Dennis, are the Ampeau wines older wines or recent vintages? I ask because I occasionally see and buy older Ampeau wines but have never seen an Ampeau wine from a more recent vintage.

I buy a fair share of white burgundy but my purchasing is very concentrated in the following:

Lamy
PYCM
Bouchard
Billaud-Simon
Piuze
Heitz-Lochardet