Bizarre allocation offer for Colgin Estate IX?

I found it very strange that after less than 1 year on the allocation waitlist for Colgin, I receive an offer for the 2015 Colgin Estate IX.
Any thoughts on what’s going on there?
LVMH shaking things up? Or are existing list members jumping ship due to the dulled shine of the small-privately owned Cult establishment?

PS - I’m new here

Welcome!

They obviously offered it to you because you showed your fine taste by registering here in January! [cheers.gif]

Now, the question is one of budget!

My budget is normally flexible, but I overbought in Jan/Feb (allocations and clubs) and the Colgin offer was a shock. Although to be completely transparent, $500/bottle (3 bottle packs) is a bit of a stretch for me.

*I’ve been “snooping” around for months - after I coincidentally joined/subscribed before Berserker day.

It’s too rich for my blood.

I hope you enjoy it here!

Unless $1,500 is pocket change, easy pass.

Sounds like they saw how many new sign ups they had and potentially over estimated their production.

I would put the $500/bottle in to something I was a bit more familiar with or fond of.

Welcome to a fellow newbie…Cheers.

Not sure this is bizarre, I’ve been given offers soon after joining lots of lists. Including this one. I actually was tempted. Every Colgin I’ve had has been superb, but that’s not enough to make me a buyer at this price point. We’ll see if it’s sustainable.

Welcome, friend! You’re going to fit in here perfectly. :wink:

FYI, they have a lot of wine to sell and they’re not doing it…

I opened a 2006 Colgin IX Monday night for the NCAA Championships (Michigan lost, so maybe I should have chosen something else). It was a delicious wine. I stopped buying it after 2007 because the price got silly. In retrospect, do regret stopping? No. There is a lot of wine in this world that is outstanding at much lower price. The 2006 was still not close to mature and I will be well into my 70s before it get’s there. So if you have extra money floating around buring a hole in your pocket and you like the full bore high ABV style and you are young enough to wait 20 years, and it is a good vintage, I would suggest that you buy a three pack and bury it for a long time, but if your answer to any of those items is NO, give it a pass.

PS - important lesson for the newbie - listen closer to those who have walked a mile in the right moccasins, to butcher an aphorism. I do not know if any who have commented above have actually bought or tasted Colgin. If they have, I would seriously consider their advice. If not, less so.

Think the offering was for the Syrah

Thanks for the advice based on experience. Colgin is now a Monday night wine? Yikes, I need to pick up my game. I’m a BIG10 fan, so I was rooting for Michigan :frowning: too, but certainly didn’t have a true stake in the game.
No, Yes, Yes. Looks like I’ll need to pass… I also passed on the Bond allocation - 5 pack of Cru’s = $2500 - another $500/bottle wine.

I think “don’t pay list price for $500 wines that can’t sell out to their mailing list” is pretty solid advice.

Why would anyone pay $500 when you can buy any vintage you want on WineSearcher from 2014 back to 2002 between the prices of $150 - $350.

-This. As well as auction results.

The one Colgin I had was a 1999 Colgin Cariad, which I tried a year ago. I didn’t mind it, but was completely unimpressed when factoring in the price. I don’t know why these wines are so expensive, but am not interested in purchasing them based on how they taste.