2007 Pernand Vergelesses "Ile des Vergelesses" - CdB

2007 Pernand Vergelesses “Ile des Vergelesses” - Chandon de Brailles
Mature, light pale red color with slight browning throughout.
Fine nose of cherry/raspberry with floral undertones.
Firm, very lean, bing cherry fruit.
An unforgiving wine with too little fruit for it’s own good. (Especially for a 2007)
Again, for the most part, I’m not keen on these producer’s wines.
All too often, not enough fruit for the extreme structure.
[87 pts]

TTT

Finally someone agrees with me on this wine :stuck_out_tongue:

It has lots of fans but I have never been very impressed.

I seem to hit about one out of seven CdB that isn’t lean and mean.
And please don’t say all it needs is aging.
I’ve had aged examples.
I’ve never had a “Ile des Vergelesses” from this producer that I liked.
There’s many better Cote de Beaune producers…

TTT

Interesting, because the few times I’ve had (in particular) the 07 version of this wine, it has seemed a little advanced and tertiary for its age. But not harsh or particularly unforgiving, just a nice softer Burg, a little past its prime.

I do like the producer, particularly the top couple of wines (Corton Clos du Roi especially).

Lots of changes here over the last decade: no pumping, no racking. The wines retain a lot more mid-palate amplitude and fruit. So don’t extrapolate from the '07s to the '14s, '15s, '16s, etc

The only CdB wine I’ve ever been excited about was the 2006 Corton Clos du Roi.
Now THAT was a good un’…

TTT

I admit to having no experience with 2009-2016 from CdB.
Since I have no desire to buy newer vintages, it is not relevant.
But the vintages that I would likely buy, I have had very few pings… [cry.gif]

TTT

The 2007 Corton Bressandes is where it’s at in their 2007 range. It is a young brut at this stage but will eventually be a great wine.

I thought the 2006 version of this impressed.

I like the wines of CdB including the 2007 Ile des Vergelesses. I don’t think the difference is a question of different bottles showing well or age (although I do think the wine was too young a few years ago when I last had a bottle), but rather that we like different wines. I thought this wine had a really beautiful nose that I could have been happy smelling all night and loved the flavors of this wine although I do agree it is on the lean side, as are some 2007s. I agree that CdB wines tend to be structured, but I like that. Maybe not all the time, but on occasions I find these wines to be really complex and elegant. And, very long, which is one thing I really love in wines.

If you were to try their wines again I recommend trying riper vintages. My favorite vintage of this wine was the 1999 for example. It has been a while since I had that wine but it was really good at l’Eccuson in Beaune in 2007.

Some folks want ripe burgs with body and richness. Some other folks just want typical burgundy. CdB wines fit in the latter category. The CdB wines never blow you away but are honest and interesting. They are not one of my favorite producers, and would rarely be the bottle you would serve to someone new to burgundy that you were trying to convert, but they are still honest burgs, never spoofilated, and I enjoy them.

Had 2 bottles of the 05 3 years apart with the last in 2016. Frankly, I expected better, but of course I like fruit in my wine and both were lacking.

I was underwhelmed by a bottle in December 2016, but my bottle wasn’t short on fruit. To the contrary, it seemed a little New Worldy. When I posted here, I was told it was too young.

TN: 2007 Chandon de Briailles - Pernand - Iles des Vergelesses
Post #1 Postby John Morris » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Ripe, nicely integrated, delicate nose. Not super complex, though. In the mouth, this had some spice, and was rich and smooth (soft tannins). Nicely balanced, though a tad thin – lacking a bit of concentration. I served this blind and several people guessed a cool-climate California pinot – which was not a silly guess, though it had no candy cherry/cough drop notes. It had very clean pinot flavors – no funk or wet leaves. On the finish, it was a tad short and some harder tannins showed up, so a bit less satisfying.

Overall, a nice bottle, if a bit simple. Someone looked up John Gilman’s review and he thinks this needs quite a bit more time. Perhaps. The fruit might well fill out. It’s my only bottle, though, so I probably won’t know. 87-ish for me (which is a decent score in my uninflated scale).