Sauvignon Blanc WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP in Graz

In March the 9th World championship of Sauvignon blanc
(9. Concours Mondial du Sauvignon blanc)
took place in Graz/Austria.

There were six different categories,
958 wines participated (I don´t know how many producers) - coming from (almost?) all wine producing countries around the world.

Six winners in the cathegories won throphies,
in addition 113 gold medals and 176 silver medals were awarded.

The trophy winners 2018:
(3 from France, 2 from Austria, 1 NZ)

Sauvignon (without oak):
Fournier Père und Fils, Grande Cuvée 2015, Pouilly-Fumé, France

Barrique Sauvignon:
Clos Henri-Weinberg, Clos Henri Sauvignon Blanc 2016, Marlborough, New Zeeland

Cuvée:
Domaine Haut Marin, Amande 2 Colombard & Sauvignon 2017, PGI Côtes de Gascogne, France

Bio-Sauvignon:
Domaine Baron, La Fût Nambule Sauvignon Blanc 2016, Touraine, France

2018 Denis Dubourdieu Trophy:
Weingut Kodolitsch, Sauvignon Blanc Rosengarten Reserve 2015, Steiermark, Austria

Sauvignon sweet:
Ewald Zweytick, SB Sauvignon Blanc Trockenbeerenauslese (TBA) 2015, Steiermark, Austria

The winners of the gold and silver medals came from (in that order)
France (80+)
Austria (78)
New Zeeland
Germany
Slovakia
Spain
Italy
Bulgaria
Greece
South Africa
Romania
and Czech Republic

… and I´m quite happy that my dear friend and top-producer Stefan POTZINGER won 1 gold and 2 silver medals:
Gold: Potzinger Sauvignon blanc Ried Czamillonberg Reserve 2015
Silver: Potzinger Sauvignon blanc Ried Steinriegel 2016 and
Potzinger Sauvignon blanc Tradition Südsteiermark 2017

(no, I was NOT in the jury, the members were profis and came from all around the world …) neener
The complete results:

Did not know this existed. They send me applications for the Rose competition and we have never made that. Biggest producer of Sauvignon Blanc in Oregon and we get stiffed?! Man oh Manischewits! Next year!

Actually, seriously, wouldn’t mind entering this next year.

It doesn’t appear there were any US wineries. At all.

Quite strange but not that much of a surprise unfortunately.

We get the invite from Concours to enter a Rose. They must mass mail stuff. Not one winery in California knew about it/entered? There’s hundreds of them producing it. It seems odd that not one CA winery had an entry. Not surprised I didn’t know about it (although I think it is weird we get an invitation every year to submit pink wine) but I assumed someone from SOTB would have sent something in. Shit, now I really wish we had been in. We would have had the #1 Sauvignon Blanc in America!!

You’d have almost as many medals and accolades as Barefoot.

Journey of a thousand steps…!

Spelt New Zealand thanks Gerard

Gerard,
In addition to the US being excluded there were no countries at all from North or South America! Hardly a World Cup - just an Europa Meisterschaft with a couple of ringers thrown in. They must be afraid of Merry Edwards.

(Please take this as tongue in cheek)

Great to see the Austrian entries perform that well. I am sure the home advantage might have helped but nethertheless they deserve a much greater appreciation on the global market.

Well on a second thought maybe we should just keep it just our little secret. [cheers.gif]

Jim,

I have no idea how they organize this event … and whom they do contact (and whom not).
Last year it was in Bordeaux … don´t know where it will be next year …
but you should be able to get informed …

Best
Gerhard

I doubt Austria had any advantage (last year in Bordeaux they made also 1-2 trophies) … the tasting was blind and the jury was international.
Austrian Sauvignons are simply world-class [cheers.gif]

… but sorry that US-producers were not apropriately represented …

Thanks!
(spelt Gerhard)

US producers appropriately represented with zero entries?
That is like claiming MLS winners Toronto fc won the world championship of soccer

I don´t think anybody (any country) was excluded deliberately … (I also didn´t check at all …)
but maybe they didn´t participate … for whatever reasons -
simply didn´t know about it … or had no interest …

That does not mean that individual growers had (probably) no interest, but the communication usually goes via national associations … and maybe there the info had stuck somehow/somewhere …?
Who knows … [scratch.gif]

For next year I guess it would be good to show interests directly from growers side …

PS: I´ve heard that in 2019 it should be in Friuli (Italy) … unconfirmed …