Anyone familiar with Orin Swift's 8 Years in the Desert?

This popped up in my LWS, 8 pack of a Zin blend, running at a 1000 entry point, not cheap.

http://www.orinswift.com/8YearsintheDesertInfo

Anyone familiar with it? Better, anyone feel it’s worth it?

I’ve never been able to bring myself to go that high on Zins. Fantastic quality well below that spectrum.

Ummm. $1000 for 8 bottles of Orin Swift? I’ve got to take a huge pass on that one captain.

It would be fun to try them together though to see if you could discern any sort of different/unique characteristics between the wines, or I’d they all tasted pretty much the same. Well…it would be fun if someone else was paying of course :wink:

No experience but I would be skeptical and most definitely wouldn’t try them on my own dollar. Orin Swift is owned by Gallo. They’ve been trying to get into higher-end wines off and on for a long time and figured it’s easier to use brands that aren’t under their name.

Most of the other wines in that label are sourced from various places and blended into big, ripe, sweet wines. I’ve tried a handful and don’t intend to try any more. Kudos to Phinney for turning his brand into a multi-million dollar business, but the brand is not about any type of finesse and I’m not sure he has any interest in that type of wine. At that price, it’s an easy pass.

There’s some pretty good Zin out there for a LOT less money.

What Greg said. $60/btl in the Zin-world can blow your mind.

Never heard of this wine. However, I have absolutely hated every Orin swift wine I’ve ever had.

I had seen this offered through Vinopolis and had to laugh, $100+ Zin from Orin swift no less… I think MTP should be outraged

Clearly you guys haven’t seen the video:

Well, now it should be worth $300!!

if 8 bottles of Orin Swift zin at $125 a pop isn’t enough to get you excited…just noticed they also hook you up with shipping for only $50!! Where do I sign???

That’s where I’ve always sat. I saw it and just shook my head. I’ve passed on Dark Matter’s Zins in the past, just could not see the price point even if it was spectacular Zin.

As someone else posted, would be interesting to see hjow the bottles vary, on someone’s else’s dime of course.

That explains everything, I’m all in.

Oh god, that video is so bad …

#cheeseville

My guess (actually not a guess, I guess), the non-compete clause from the original Prisoner sale (2000’ish) is up, and DP can produce a “prisoner” (aka Zin blend) type wine. I’ll stick with the board favorites :slight_smile:

I am not piling on or have an ax to grind. What Nate said is the same for me.

That was a remarkably successful 8 year stint in the desert.

I don’t understand why their marketing is so dark.

It’s brooding and angsty. Like a young teen version of SQN. If you liked the Twilight movies, you would probably love it. Not hating because there are clearly hundreds of millions of reasons why it works.

I suppose you buy case then get a tattoo to validate the experience.

Sounds like a sentence for the crime of having produced The Prisoner. What’s next, Recidivism?