Transition From Smoking to Non-Smoking

I learned to drink wine as a smoker. Developed my palate as a smoker. Now, for the 3rd or 4th time, I quit smoking. Should be easier this time as there is no where near the stress. Carrie quit with me. Two weeks in, the wines we know and love are bad. Tonight, we opened two bottles of the same wine because we thought the first bottle was bad. The second bottle was better but didn’t taste like I remember, but we hadn’t tried the wine in over a year, so, memory or taste buds? Opened our go to everyday Pinot, Luli, that we’ve had several times since we quit smoking and yes, tonight, it tastes different.

Looks like I get all new wine experiences. Then Carrie reminded me that I could hide my own Easter eggs and meet new people every day as the regulars come in, so take my tasting notes more of a grain of salt than you previously did.

PS. Anybody else have similar experiences after quitting smoking? Willing to admit them?

First, congrats to you both! As a former smoker, I had similar experience. My enjoyment of bigger styled wines diminished greatly. Cigar/cigarette smoke seemed to enhance the enjoyment of oaky cabs. Now, without the tobacco, “cigar wines” have lost their appeal.

Drink more Maison Ilan.

Never been a smoker, but I’m curious in what way the wines taste different. Can you articulate the difference beyond just good/bad?

+1. When I started drinking wine I was a pack a day reds smoker. Aussie Shiraz and Cabs were all the rage for me then. Looking back my palate realignment to Old World high acid wines (Burgundy and Piemonte predominately) came when I stopped smoking. Curiously I don’t think I’ve ever formally made that association until just now.

Congratulations for quitting, it’s not easy. Kudos.

All the above said, Barolo and Toscano cigars pair exceptionally well.

congrats on the decision to try again. good luck as you go through the process!

I dont have any personal experience as far as tasting and quitting goes, but definitely the right decision. I like your wifes suggestion for how to approach it.

Quit smoking everything 15 yrs ago ( 1 1/2 non filter a day ) and found my sense of smell only got better,but don’t remember any palate issues. When I quit coffee ( caffeine ) 2 yrs later , any urge for a cig went with it. ( so I’d recommend a slow wean off caffeine , if you drink it ) Started coffee sometime later and the urge ( or dreams ) never came back. Allowed myself some cigars recently ( after 12 yrs ) but still no urge for a cig. Good luck. Cigarettes were my biggest mistake of all time, and also the toughest to fix. Bravo. Congratulations- you can do it!!!

Congratulations on quitting!

I have to ask for clarity’s sake: was there any extended abstinence from drinking wine between your quitting of smoking and now?

Congratulations Randy and Carrie and good luck! It will be interesting to see where your palate preferences settle. I’m not a smoker, but those I know who’ve quit tell me it took 4-6 months before the changing perceptions stabilized.

Randy and Carrie, you have my sympathy. I quit three years ago and still occasionally feel the urge for a smoke!

The first six months were the worst, and I actually reduced my wine consumption a lot during that period. I found my willpower was definitely reduced after a few glasses of wine, and the temptation to go outside for an after dinner smoke was almost overwhelming. So the easiest way to overcome that was not to drink anything! Also making sure there were no cigarettes readily available in the house or in my car was another way to help fight the urge.

Good luck to both of you, and your mutual support system should be a big help!

Congrats on quitting! Just remember, each time you quit increases your chances of quitting for good. Think of all the wine you can buy with the money you save from cigarettes :slight_smile:

Congratulations and continued success in your endeavor. It’s a difficult habit to quit.

Randy, that is so interesting.

Please keep track of then and now impressions!

I will be very interested in seeing where your palate goes!

Congrats to the both of you. [cheers.gif]

I have no personal experience but I have heard others have similar issues with tastes changing or needing some re-calibration. I’m guessing it’s going to be a matter of time as others have indicated above.

Three days ago I noticed my sense of smell was improving, despite my allergies and allergy meds.

Tonight we are opening a 2015 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast P/N. We know and love the wine so it will be a measure we start with. Last night I could smell alcohol/chemicals in the first wine. Tonight’s KB, I smell black fruits. Subtle but there and the first sip is also black fruits accompanied by some heat.

The first thing Carrie noticed was that she could smell towel in the glass. I used a brand new towel when I washed the glasses today. Ten minutes later, I think I smell towel in my glass. She had to have planted the thought.

The wine is opening up with black cherry and blackberry, a finish growing in length and some acidity to clip the finish. Overall, it is the KB I’m used to. The fruit flavors may be a little “cleaner” and it may taste a little sweeter to me. Carrie drinks it faster than she used to so it must taste good to her.

30 minutes open, it is black cherry start to finish and has gained weight.

Parker is or was a smoker I have heard.

That is awesome.

Well done, Randy and Carrie. I was a pack a day smoker when I was in wine retail, and I found that I couldn’t critically evaluate wines during the short periods I had quit - I was used to tasting though the filter of smoke. When I quit for good 25 years ago, it did take my palate (mostly my sense of smell) 6 months or so to recalibrate fully. It didn’t effect the wines that I preferred though.

Ex smoker (15 years ) pack a day plus a few cigars daily. I noticed my sense of smell and taste shift/re calibrate after quitting and for a while thereafter. Expanded my wine and food likes (and dislikes) I was not dealing with the smoke/tobacco odors anymore. Still enjoy those big cabs however.
For those struggling with wants of cigarettes after quitting or struggling with quitting smoking might I make a book suggestion. Allen Carr Easyway to stop smoking is a self help type of book which for whatever reasons works awesomely well. My copy is signed by me and handfuls of friends and family who had read it. Only 1 of those signatures ever had another cigarette. Very fast read as well.

congratulations on quitting. The adjustment curve will be short and hopefully your life longer