TN: 2014 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard

2014 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (5/5/2018)
Surprisingly approachable, but also very good depth. Lots of deep red fruit, earth, spice and a hint of mint show on the nose, and there’s plenty of mid-palate presence, and a moderate level of finishing tannin. I like the overall complexity of this vintage more than any in the past. Perhaps it the additional age of the vines, or a greater understanding of the vineyard, but either way this seems to be a more complete wine than the ones I have had from 2006-2013.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for note. I’ve actually enjoyed two bottles of the β€˜13, and now I’ll be looking forward to trying β€˜14.

Thanks David. Interesting note about added complexity. I had the 2010 Family Farm PN open this weekend.

I liked the texture and weight of the wine. But I found it just a bit candied with that rhubarb-and-smidge-of-pesticide note I associate with Grenache. It made the wine a bit tiring.

Had the 2009 a few nights ago and while good, was kind of one dimensional without too much complexity other than the spice note. Glad to hear 2014 has improved upon that.

2014 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (8/28/2019)
– popped and poured; 1st pour sat in glass for approx. 10 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –
– from 375mL –

NOSE: earthy purple/red fruit mix; moderately expressive.

BODY: light pinkish-garnet color with slight orange hue throughout; color is of medium-light depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: high acidity; red apple on the finish, which is fairly long and of medium intensity; floral oaky spice; 13.5% alc. not noticeable; tight, but not shut-down β€” this does offer some pleasure now, but it seems a bit clipped: I expect this to unfurl with a little more cellar time. Best to Hold. Gut impression score: 90 – 91.

2014 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (11/22/2021)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 1.5 hrs. –
– from 375mL –

Aromas of warm, ripe red fruits dominate the fairly open/expressive Nose. On the palate, this wine seems to be well-relaxed, and likely in its prime window, featuring baked red fruits and a hint of funk, with medium to medium+ acidity and completely resolved tannins. Drink Now and over the near term.

I have 500 and 750ml bottles. Will check in soon. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

2014 Rhys Pinot Noir Family Farm Vineyard - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (7/14/2023)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hrs. –
– from 375mL –

NOSE: ripe red fruits, but not-at-all suggestive of a wine that’s overdone/too ripe; strawberry Twizzlers; just barely starting to smell obviously aged; expressive.

BODY: garnet color with slight bricking throughout; color is of medium depth; {forgot to note weight}

TASTE: red-fruited, with a touch of cola; medium-light oak; medium to medium+ acidity. Drink Now and over the near term from 375mL.