Best Wine Gift You've Received

I prefer not to receive wine as a gift. Like many (most) of you, I have a lot of wine and over the years have developed a pretty focussed palate. Most wine I receive just isn’t what I prefer to drink. I appreciate the spirit of the gift and graciously thank the folks who brought it, all the while thinking “I wish they hadn’t.” I was thinking about this after a recent dinner at our house and was trying to recollect if I ever got a wine gift that really excited me. I came up with one - in my first few years of collecting, I was given a bottle of 1989 Krug by a good friend. At the time, I certainly didn’t appreciate how special a bottle of wine this was and drank it within a few years. It was a revelation and my first glimpse into how magical Champagne can be. How about you, any really great wine gifts?

Not so much a gift for a special occasion but was given bottles of 1990 and 1992 Dom Perignon by my in laws that had been given to them years ago since they don’t really drink. Weren’t stored that well but the ‘92 was stunning. Looking forward to the ‘90 later this year.

A vertical tasting of Chateau Latour hosted n Frederic Engerer including wines from 1961 to the mid 90’s from my wife

A close friend and business partner of mine gave me a 1998 Petrus several years ago. I had lined up quite a business deal for him, but we share opportunities anyway, so the gift was totally unexpected and an incredible thing. Perhaps more of an impact, however, was a client CEO gave me a bottle of Opus and Vega Sicilia Unico from a vintage in the 1980s that I can no longer remember. I had just won a significant court hearing that the CEO personally attended, and the partner in change had not, and this was the CEO’s generous way of saying to a very green associate at the time, “nicely done”. Made quite an impact, plus these were wines that were quite pricey to me back then.

A bottle of Caymus SS.

Selosse single vineyards.

Todd’s given me this board, which is pretty cool.

One that was beyond all others -1996 Giacosa Red Label Barolo Faletto magnum for my 60th. From a friend who wanted me to be sure if having a great birthday.

I helped broker the sale of a small business and the shareholder who cashed out gave me a 1996 Latour, 1996 Margaux and 1986 Mouton.

A couple of rare bottles of Barolo from my first boss.

A six pack of 1987 Tignanello for shooting (photography) a buddy’s wedding.

You must be rolling in cash from the ads.

Wineberserkers = cash cow

My wife has many Japanese clients and we often entertain with wine dinners. One of those clients sent a bottle of 2014 Opus One home with her for me (and her).

1996 DRC dinner from a grateful cured patient whose prostate I removed for cancer a few years prior.

'75 d’Yquem was pretty nice.

Also received a '06 Opus One from some coworkers, not bad either.

A Magnum of 2001 Dider Dageneau Silex. I hosted an offline at my parent’s house and he brings that as a gift for my wife and I . Of course it was immediatly opened.

A 1990 Margaux from a grateful patient.
A 2002 Bollinger RD from a CEO for Board service.
A Riedel Amedeo decanter from another CEO for Board service.

94 Dominus from dad, when it was $60.

My in-laws usually give me a $50 gift certificate to a good local store for birthdays and Xmas. Nothing makes me happier.