Quite possibly the worst WS article of the year (or longer!)

I realize many do not have a subscription. It has all the checkboxes

Celebrity owner - Jon Bon Jovi
Rose
goofy name - Hampton Water
party pictures of its launch rollout
Master Languedoc Winemaker - Bertrand something
The arduous process in making it - JBJ had to taste 35 blends they put together for him
And yes, the privileged scion - JBJ son’s named Bongiovi.

One of the worst examples of ‘straight from the publicist’ into a magazine.

lol Hampton water

Identical reaction, exacerbated by the fact that Wine Enthusiast gave it similar billing. Talking with Jon Bon Jovi on Crafting Rosé | Wine Enthusiast
As you note, just because the publicist pitched you, doesn’t mean you have to write about it.

Hampton water was also mentioned in Lettie Teague’s Weekend Edition WSJ article a few weeks back (I believe around the same time both the WS and Wine Enthusiast articles came out). Must be a good publicist.

From the article,

"Jon Bon Jovi’s rosé, which he created with his son Jesse Bongiovi and launched with French winemaker Gérard Bertrand this past February, has already sold out in Europe. (It’s currently sold in 10 U.S. states, mostly on the East Coast.) Although Mr. Bon Jovi is a Garden State native, he has a home in East Hampton, N.Y. And let’s face it, “Diving into Asbury Park” doesn’t have quite the same cachet.

The 2017 Hampton Water rosé is blend of Grenache, Cinsault, Mourvèdre and Syrah from southern France with a label featuring an Esther Williams -style swimmer diving into a rosé-colored body of water and a label that reads like a letter, beginning “Dearest Friend” and ending “Truly yours.” (The packaging is eye-catching; a good visual is key in the crowded rosé category.)"

There are worse ways to get into the news.

Politics removed.

i posted on the ridiculousness of something called hampton water a month or 2 ago and got no replies.
i still find it ridiculous, however i’d probably drink it if offered a glass at a party [cheers.gif]

I thought that it is flushed, instead. newhere

Would anybody really Runaway if it was offered to them?

When Mark posted the article initially, it did give me a good chuckle.

On the other hand, JBJ has used his celebrity, contacts, and capital to quickly start a new (potentially profitable) business. And seems to be having fun doing it too. I’m sure you all have noticed the slew of new roses on the market on the shelf at the grocery store. More power to him from that perspective…

But really, the next rose I want to try is this one:

Bertrand makes that insipid Rose in the rose shaped bottles. This can’t be very good.

Funny - the day after I read the article, I was in my local wine store and saw a woman buying 6 bottles of it!

I hear that if you pour it into a margarita machine it makes a decent slushie.

Look, it’s his life. It’s now or never. He ain’t gonna live forever. He just wants to make mediocre Rose while he’s alive.

2 Likes

Which reminds me, what are we calling the “Branjelina” wine these days?

Labelled Miraval still I think. However I thought that was slightly different that they bought and existing winery/estate, as opposed to having some nasti spumanti mixed up for them from random fruit sources.

Miraval is pretty good. Sure, you can get similar quality for $5 less without the celeb association and fancy bottle, but it’s stil good wine.

Add ice cubes and it is a hit at a party!

One of mine from January when you posted on this wine. But then these threads are all the same - only the names change.

Funny. Who can remember!!!