Dinner with the 06` Taittinger CdC and 95` Williams Selyem Hirsch Pinot Noir

My sweetheart and I enjoyed a fine dinner at the El Encanto Restaurant. With 70+ degree temperatures, we were seated on the outside patio overlooking the city of Santa Barbara below and beyond to the local harbour, Pacific ocean and channel islands. The timing was such that the pre. during and post sunset made it just that much more magical.

The combination of the incredible ambience including sitting across from Roelanda, fine food, dedicated and attentive service was complimented by some fine wines we took to add to the allure of the evening.

2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BRUT BLANC de BLANC- it had been a few months since last opening this gem and I was getting withdrawals symptoms so the fix was on tonight; this bottle may have been the best one yet, certainly the biggest one of over 10 bottles heretofore; small sips were all that was required to get the treasures that started with aromas of toasty brioche and fresh and ripe citrus; bracing acidity hit the palate with just the smallest sampling so I backed off a bit; on the palate, lemon zest, brioche and a hint of spice and pepper joined in; later on when the wine was less chilled, some pear, peach, honeydew melon and toasted almond notes were expressed; I do not recall this ever being this big of a champagne in fact, I remember calling it elegant. This was a wondrous wine and deserved a lot of superlatives, but elegant was not one of them. The lady across the table from me was elegant.

1995 WILLIAMS SELYEM HIRSCH VINEYARD SONOMA COAST PINOT NOIR- I also had some withdrawal symptoms from going a couple of months without having a Burt made Pinot Noir so I pulled this beauty; it had been a couple of years since having the last 95 Hirsch so it was time for a re-visit; like the CdC, this may have been the best one ever; the fill was right up to the cork and mindful of Burts intention to have zero ullage for every wine he made which is helpful when buying and knowing in advance what the ullage is.
The colour was a youthful, vibrant dark red burgundy with absolutely no signs of ageing; the nose was so inviting and the taste responded with like and kind; it gave spicy red raspberry and red cherry with accents of cola, cinnamon and clove; it was atypically full bodied, rich and powerful with a velvety texture and nice balance; the wine actually expanded in the glass and evolved over our dinner time into a liquid masterpiece.

Life is good and made even more so by occasions like this one.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_1c6e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1c72.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1c76.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1c7b.jpeg

Life is good indeed!

La buona vita!

I think I’m in withdrawal from the Comtes as well. I’ve only had it twice (once with you) and really enjoyed it both times. I remember our discussion about the art of blending and I think they did a great job with this one. Flavorful without being over the top, balanced with nice acidity and a wonderful mousse of delicate bubbles. My wife makes a face at all the geeky wine I’ve been into lately, but this one is just flat out delicious. I think I need to save up so I can purchase some 2008 when it comes out next year (our wedding anniversary).

Big fan of Hirsch as well. One of my first pinot epiphanies was from the Bohan Dillan. It was my favorite Littorai bottling when I went tasting there last year. Never had a WS version but very tempted. Too much temptation on this board, now I’m truly having withdrawal symptoms.

Cheers to you and your sweetheart! [cheers.gif]

Hi Viet,

I`m not so savvy in Italian so here goes my best Spanish: la vida es buena

Re the Comtes, I support you in obtaining some. You deserve the best. Envoyer may still have the 06 at around $110. The 08 promises to be stellar and probably will come in at a much higher price.

Id love to treat you to another 06 CdC and an older WS Pinot = 97` or older. If ever you come to SB, we can make that happen otherwise maybe at my next visit with you guys in OC which should be sooner than later so I don’t go through withdrawals on that wondrous experience.

Your great tasting notes are always laced with great wine descriptions and a solid dose of human kindness. Well done!

Much appreciated Anton.

Great wines and a great spot! Well done.

Steve, I presume you know about and have probably been to the El Encanto after our conversation at our recent dinner. I highly recommend going when you`re next in SB especially in the summer months. Request a table on the perimeter of the outside patio fo best views and quietness. Cheers

Indeed, love that place.

Love the El Encanto patio. We’re heading back to SB next month and I can’t wait to have lunch there.

Great notes as always, Blake. Cheers!

David, their wine list is extra special with extra special pricing. Only a skeleton list is on line so be sure to ask for the list. Obviously, I’m assuming you will have wine at lunch.

Thanks Jeremy. Cheers back at you.

Great to know. I think we’re going to have dinner there now and I’ll definitely ask for the physical list. Many thanks.

We had the Comtes 2006 at Alinea in Chicago as a starter. Really fine Champagne and enjoyed it a lot. Looks like you had a great meal in a beautiful place. Looks a bit like the patio at Clint Eastwood’s place in Carmel.

I like your choice for a starter as well as for fine dining. Ailnea is a fabulous place.

Great notes, Blake. That CdC crushes. Love it a lot.