KB News from Shanken News Daily

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#51 Post by Bud Carey » July 12th, 2018, 10:23 am

Last year's KB SVDs were around $100. Or a little less.
Budman

K Krahenbuhl
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by K Krahenbuhl » July 12th, 2018, 10:30 am

$95-$150
Kyle

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Steve L Gellman » July 12th, 2018, 2:47 pm

2 different Pinot's. $150 & $125. Also some Chards

AndrewH

#54 Post by AndrewH » July 12th, 2018, 2:59 pm

No email, but when I log in I see the following:
2016 Mt. Carmel Chardonnay - Heavily influenced by its soil combination the Chardonnay from this site is powerful and dense. Featuring tantalizing acidity intertwined with textural cream. $95

2016 El Diablo Chardonnay - Perched on the eastern edge of the Russian River Valley appellation with 500 ft. elevation, this site contains ideal weather to grow Chardonnay. The result is low yields with intense, flavor-packed-clusters. $95

2016 Mt. Carmel Pinot Noir - From one of the first vineyards planted in Sta. Rita Hills, the Pinot produced from the Mt. Carmel vineyard is refined, bright and uplifting. $125

2016 Free James Pinot Noir - Embracing the spirit of some of the first settlers; James McIntosh, James Dawson and James Black, we have accepted the challenge to produce a Pinot Noir from this area with large, round tannins, that will stand the test of time. $150
Not sure if that's the full range, or just what I can wish for.

Fuller notes here (seems like these are the four):

https://www.kostabrowne.com/wine/2016/
Andrew H e i m e r t

Chuck Turack

#55 Post by Chuck Turack » July 12th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Received allocation email yesterday, I was wish listed 2 of each.
Over the past two years, we have been quietly curating a new series of wines to share with you. It began with several unique lots from the 2016 vintage that were so distinct, Winemaker Nico Cueva felt strongly they should stand out from the traditional portfolio of Kosta Browne wines.

This initiated the concept for Observations – to identify a wine so exceptional that it could serve as a hallmark for the vintage. These wines push boundaries while honoring our commitment to quality, intensity and elegance.

Given the extremely limited volume of the Observations Series, we are unable to include them in our normal spring and fall offerings. However, we look forward to sharing these wines with you exclusively in The Gallery, a dedicated space for members to experience our approach to winemaking, which will be completed in August. We also understand that a visit may not be possible in your near future, so we have set aside a few bottles of the Observations wines to share with those who are interested.

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Mel Knox » July 16th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Rumor has it that a fowl oriented winery group will announce its purchase of KB tomorrow.
ITB

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by T Welch » July 16th, 2018, 6:34 pm

Mel Knox wrote:Rumor has it that a fowl oriented winery group will announce its purchase of KB tomorrow.
Quack quack?
T*R*U*E*T*T

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Mel Knox » July 16th, 2018, 7:14 pm

I see somebody has his shotgun ready for a big migration.
ITB

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by T Welch » July 16th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Mel Knox wrote:I see somebody has his shotgun ready for a big migration.
Wearing my Elmer Fudd hat as I post.
T*R*U*E*T*T

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by T Welch » July 16th, 2018, 7:34 pm

T Welch wrote:
Mel Knox wrote:I see somebody has his shotgun ready for a big migration.
Wearing my Elmer Fudd hat as I post.
Of course, I'll feel foolish if your post is a decoy.
T*R*U*E*T*T

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Mel Knox » July 16th, 2018, 8:34 pm

I hope my source is not a birdbrain.
ITB

ericleehall

#62 Post by ericleehall » July 16th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Confirmed.... c ya tomorrow!
All for the Love of Pinot!
www.roadhousewinery.com

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Anton D » July 16th, 2018, 9:49 pm

That’s totally Daffy.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

AndrewH

#64 Post by AndrewH » July 17th, 2018, 8:20 am

And the big reveal explaining the fowl jokes:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vi ... 1&t=152802
Andrew H e i m e r t

ericleehall

#65 Post by ericleehall » July 18th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Here is some new news, apparently Michael Browne has leased optioned the facilities and vineyards of Russian Hill Estate, @ 4525 Slusser Road, Windsor ... next to Sonoma Cutrer.
All for the Love of Pinot!
www.roadhousewinery.com

ncostanzo1
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by ncostanzo1 » July 19th, 2018, 9:38 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:What are Dan and Michael up to these days?

J
I think someone answered the Michael Browne part for you, Dan Kosta is working a project called AldenAlli with Emeril Lagrasse right now is my understanding.
Nick

ncostanzo1
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by ncostanzo1 » July 19th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Wow, some of these prices...All I can say is good luck in fetching new customers at those prices.

Anyhooters, I think there are two stories here as well. One that people will like and one that people don't like.

The good story, the feel good one: Two waiters in Sonoma County, cobble together tips and extra money they've earned to produce a barrel of Pinot Noir in the early 2000's. Later that one barrel Pinot, turns into a smash hit with many lovers of Pinot and Kosta Browne within a few years begins to attain a "cult" following. The two once servers and a third partner eventually after seeing their name sake winery change in a growing market; cash in their chips and become millionaires in the process. Great story of "rags to riches" right? Right.

The bad story, the not as so feel good one: After Kosta Browne reaches a "cult" following, the original investors are ready to cash out. In steps another company to provide the financial capital necessary to take the next steps. In comes stages of price increases for wines. Eventually early followers began to move on due to price changes, style of wines and the availability of wines more suited to their palate. After which name sakes of the winery exit stage left, in come different PE groups to change the stewardship of the winery all the while seemingly profit focused. A new era of Kosta Brown fans are born and into it ridiculously high priced wine will continue to be sold.

Sorry best I could do after drinking two Pliny's.
Nick

AndrewH

#68 Post by AndrewH » July 20th, 2018, 7:04 am

ncostanzo1 wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:What are Dan and Michael up to these days?

J
I think someone answered the Michael Browne part for you, Dan Kosta is working a project called AldenAlli with Emeril Lagrasse right now is my understanding.
Yes. And, sadly, presumably rebuilding his home.

https://www.sierrasun.com/entertainment ... dan-kosta/

I bought some AldenAlli last year and enjoyed the first bottle - more like earlier KB and worth a try if you liked that style.
Andrew H e i m e r t

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Bud Carey » July 20th, 2018, 7:16 am

In case you didn't know, Aldenalli is made by Shane Finley, who was an assistant winemaker at KB from 2008 through about 2012-2013.
Budman

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by brigcampbell » July 28th, 2018, 4:27 pm

Interested in what Michael Brown is up too? We tasted with him today. The story is all here.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vi ... 1&t=153042

Drew Goin

#71 Post by Drew Goin » August 2nd, 2018, 6:43 pm

Has anyone ever tasted the AldenAlli "Limerick Lane" Zinfandel???

Tom Lee

#72 Post by Tom Lee » August 3rd, 2018, 7:03 am

Drew Goin wrote:Has anyone ever tasted the AldenAlli "Limerick Lane" Zinfandel???
Hi Drew,

I opened the Zin earlier this week. Note is here:

http://www.zinfandelchronicles.com/2018 ... -vineyard/

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee

Dan Kosta

#73 Post by Dan Kosta » August 4th, 2018, 12:10 am

Well after lurking for years, I feel compelled to say hello. Thanks to everyone who have supported AA (The irony of our initials is never lost, if not intentional). Of course my passion continues to be manifested in Pinot noir and my focus with AldenAlli Pinot is based in the Sonoma Coast AVA. I’m intrigued by the intellectual wines from this region. In addition, I’ve always been a huge Zinfandel fan. Specifically those from cooler climates, particularly the Russian River Valley. When I was a wine director at John Ash & co, I was always enthralled by the wines of Limerick Lane Winery. When my my friend Jake Bilbro offered a couple of tons from this iconic Zinfandel estate in 2015, i thought of that partnership as a culmination of 25 years of observation, appreciation and now production of some of the best zin fruit in the world. What a great experience. Tom, glad you enjoyed.

Tom Lee

#74 Post by Tom Lee » August 4th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Dan Kosta wrote:Well after lurking for years, I feel compelled to say hello. Thanks to everyone who have supported AA (The irony of our initials is never lost, if not intentional). Of course my passion continues to be manifested in Pinot noir and my focus with AldenAlli Pinot is based in the Sonoma Coast AVA. I’m intrigued by the intellectual wines from this region. In addition, I’ve always been a huge Zinfandel fan. Specifically those from cooler climates, particularly the Russian River Valley. When I was a wine director at John Ash & co, I was always enthralled by the wines of Limerick Lane Winery. When my my friend Jake Bilbro offered a couple of tons from this iconic Zinfandel estate in 2015, i thought of that partnership as a culmination of 25 years of observation, appreciation and now production of some of the best zin fruit in the world. What a great experience. Tom, glad you enjoyed.
Thanks Dan. Welcome to WineBerserkers! Is the Limerick Lane Zin something you will be doing every year? Any other wines in the works that you can share?

Best,

Tom Lee
Twitter: @NWTomLee

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Steve L Gellman » August 4th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Did anyone hear back about their wish list requests for the observation series

Drew Goin

#76 Post by Drew Goin » August 4th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Tom Lee wrote:
Drew Goin wrote:Has anyone ever tasted the AldenAlli "Limerick Lane" Zinfandel???
Hi Drew,

I opened the Zin earlier this week. Note is here:

http://www.zinfandelchronicles.com/2018 ... -vineyard/

Tom

Thank you for posting the link to your tasting note, Tom!! I should've known to look on the Zinfandel Chronicles site! :)

Dan Kosta wrote:Well after lurking for years, I feel compelled to say hello. Thanks to everyone who have supported AA (The irony of our initials is never lost, if not intentional). Of course my passion continues to be manifested in Pinot noir and my focus with AldenAlli Pinot is based in the Sonoma Coast AVA. I’m intrigued by the intellectual wines from this region. In addition, I’ve always been a huge Zinfandel fan. Specifically those from cooler climates, particularly the Russian River Valley. When I was a wine director at John Ash & co, I was always enthralled by the wines of Limerick Lane Winery. When my my friend Jake Bilbro offered a couple of tons from this iconic Zinfandel estate in 2015, i thought of that partnership as a culmination of 25 years of observation, appreciation and now production of some of the best zin fruit in the world. What a great experience. Tom, glad you enjoyed.

Thanks for chiming in, Dan!!!

If a new thread was to be created discussing the tiny handful of wineries who are now receiving grapes from the vineyards of Limerick Lane, would you be willing to elaborate on the backstory of how you got some fruit, the specific part(s) of the estate vineyards where it's from, and a wee bit of your winemaking philosophy/strategy/approach to Zin with your Pinot Noir background...? :)

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Steve L Gellman » August 6th, 2018, 2:03 pm

I was granted 1 bottle but canceled the order. $25 shipping for 1 bottle!

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: KB News from Shanken News Daily

#78 Post by Steve L Gellman » August 14th, 2018, 11:28 am

Alden Ali allocations came out today

Return to “Wine Talk”