TNs: Some Blind Pinots

Amid the turmoil of Summer busy-ness, work, summer vacations, kids (now I know what “Fortnight” is), cycling, etc., Scott Christie and I managed a spur-of-the-moment connection for a woefully overdue round of blind Pinots.

2008 Rhys Horshoe Pinot Noir, Sonoma
Burg like with a bit woodsiness. Briar fruit and dark cherry notes. Integrated, restrained, fine balance and length. The style reminded me of a Matello/Goodfellow SVD. It’s aging gracefully and adding complexity since my last encounter a few years ago…at which time I found it to be the most Burg-like Rhys (of dozens tasted). This encounter came off more new-worldy but in a postive/distinctive way. Thumbs up…and no rush. Drink or hold for 5+ years.
2012 Zepaltas Suacci Vyd, Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast
A bit of wood that folds in with air. This is a straight forward, pleasing, basic Sonoma Coast Pinot with slight hints of citrus. I prefer a touch more brightness but there really were no flaws, if not particularly exciting. A solid work-a-day $30 - $35 Pinot.

2012 Inman Sexton Road, Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast
Holy Oak. Jeepers. A big fat snootful and then mouthful of wood barrel. She makes such soft style Pinots (and sometimes quite lovely) that there’s no way this wine could withstand the treatment. Another glass of Zepaltas (at 50% of the price)…please.

2006 Robert Chevillon NSG Chaignots 1er Cru
A bit of bricking with some leather notes suggesting the start of tertiary-ness. A melange of aged red/dark NSG fruit graced with subtle earthy loam. There’s a deceptive shyness. Nicely integrated tannins (with a bit of air to help). Prolonged medium intensity midpalate and finish. This is the type of wine I crave to find at $40/bottle…once upon a time. WOTN. Scott did a sensational job of narrowing in on vintage range and appellation.

2015 Chevillon Passetoutgrains Burgundy
A horse of a different color. Scott cried poop. I found it more humic-like…and only on the nose. Young and dark. The Gamay grape is driving the bus. The balance is for real. Tasty brightness with some red-fruited elements. Enough Pinot elegance to tame some wildness. This is a fine value everyday food wine for those willing to branch out from Cru Beaujolais. Scott astutely questioned whether the grape was Pinot.
2005 Loring Brosseau Vyd, Chalone, CA
Probably my 3rd encounter with the wine. This was “horse-less” compared to the last time. Brian Loring’s venture in to the land of restraint (reportedly short lived?). Dare I say elegant? It still is years later. Softer acidity than the French wines but still satisfactory. Attractive balance. No hints of booziness or over-ripe fruit. It’s also a bit past peak as it seems like the volume (which was never loud) has been turned down by time. Always fun to revisit a Pinot tasted through its aging curve.

Another blind Pinot night…in the books.

RT

Nothing from Oregon included?!?! [tease.gif]

Trying to be more unpredictable…not to mention saving them for J & I. Hope you and Sue are doing great!

RT

That’s what I was thinking… Nice lineup. Didn’t know Trimpi would touch Cali Pinot. We had a Chevillon at our offline last night and It was also mighty tasty among some very stiff competition.

Nice notes! Fun selection. Appreciate the look.

Cheers Tom, good see to you’re still interested in the Pinot game.

Sean, I try to keep a relatively open mind, realizing that most of the world’s Pinots aren’t meant for my palate. It’s the price of being a geek.

RT

Love reading blind notes!

Nice lineup! The 'Shoe is my favorite larger production Pinot in the Rhys stable.