TNs: Selosse, '92 Sauzet, '10 Roulot, 10 Mugnier, etc.

Got together with a few Berserkers at Empire State South for a nice bracket of wines, good food, and fine company last night. All strong wines, sans a corked 1969 José Gomes da Silva & Filhos Colares Reserva Brad carted back recently from Portugal. :frowning:

I jotted some thoughts down, and took in the comments of my table mates, though we were socializing more than notating wines.
Good times, guys. As always. [cheers.gif]

• NV Jacques Selosse Champagne Initial - France, Champagne (7/11/2018)
    Disgorged 5/14. Deep-steely-golden color with steady, tiny bubbles. It has hints of an oxidative note, with some sherry and honey but such lively energy, too. There’s an earthy streak in the finish amidst almonds and tart green apple. With time in the glass, it opens to reveal a kaleidescope of scents on the nose and crazy complexity on the palate. Really interesting about an hour in. Terrific stuff. Wish I could make Selosse my house bubbles. Love the stuff.
  • 1992 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (7/11/2018)
    Really a great showing. Lots of what I want in aged white Burgundy. Terrific tropical fruit-spiked liveliness and then, later, almost a sweet-honey earth-funk-shroomy roundness. Kept evolving in the glass and was a joy at each step. Still lively and lovely. What white Burgundy can do when sound. Thanks Don
  • 2010 Domaine Roulot Meursault Les Meix Chavaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (7/11/2018)
    Quick splash in the decanter and this came out ready to play. Slight hints of some toast at first, then richer aromas of apples and minerals. Perfect balance and precision. To me, it was still coming on as I got to my last glass, but very good right now.
  • 2010 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Fuées - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (7/11/2018)
    The nose here is so it: Earthy, floral, wild berries. Tea spice and pepper. Red Burg nose that I love. Palate is so integrated and pure. I hate the term sexy used to describe wine, but this wine is. Yet it still feels so youthful. Delicacy and charm. Very Chambolle. Lovely wine already.
  • 1995 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (7/11/2018)
    Been ages since I tasted a CdP. This is holding up well and seems it can still go a while. Wild nose, meaty and olive and licorice. Still a bit too kirsch on the palate for me, but very good for what it is at this age. Paired well with the lamb dish.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice set of wines and notes, Dennis. This looks like a line-up that I would totally dig.

Love, love Mugnier Fuees. It’s my Goldilocks wine from his house.

thanks, Matt! Was a good night. I need more Mugnier in my life. That’s for sure.
Cheers.

Awesome lineup! That Mugnier, in particular, always feels approachable to me.

I loved the evening Dennis. The wines were all beautiful save one corked one. The Selosse Initial developed incredible complexity with a little time. That is one of the best bottles of that one I have tasted.

Had the '92 Sauzet P-M Les Combettes with other Burgundy and Champagne during last night’s dinner at Wu’s Wonton King. A bottle in very good shape (thanks, Dale) and one of my top wines for the night.

As I recall, it was generally positively received by our 7-person dining group.

Thanks, Tom!

[cheers.gif] It was prob my fave wine last night, right along with the Selosse. Great wine.

Great night. The sauzet was exactly what makes premox so sad. 1992 at its peak