One of your regular bottles jumps in value.

I don’t buy for trading or investing. I buy what I like and drink it as I please with little regard for the price. My limit is $60 give or take. So playing around on Wine Searchers today and noticed the tab for one of my favs is listed 3-5 times what I paid. I felt weird because I had cracked one last night and got a twinge of regret. For a moment, I thought about profit margins and lost revenue. Then I got over myself and poured another glass.

I am in a similar situation; I guess others appreciate great wines as well!

I love this issue.

Am I about to drink something that cost me 30 bucks back in the day, or several hundred dollars now?

I run 100% on the ‘drink’ side of the equation, thus far, I certainly know exactly how you feel! [cheers.gif]

I don´t quite get it - you don´t drink the listing, you´ve already bought the bottle(s) for a low price … so what?
The (now) high price only matters if you sell it !
[shrug.gif]

The economists will tell you that you can’t afford to drink it if you wouldn’t buy it at the present market value. There is, of course, some friction in selling, so the real flinch number is probably 20-30% over your spend limit. We are not a community of economists, so pouring another glass is fine.

fred

I’d sell it. [berserker.gif]

I regret when I cannot afford to pay for a favorite wine any longer. I don’t plan on selling my bottles.

Fortunately I got in on the ground floor for this one and the price to me has not increased. I will however, buy the full allocation I am offered next.

this subject is more fun when winery names are mentioned

Well, I’ve posted about this before, but my situation wasn’t a $60 wine turning into a $300 wine. It was a ~$200 wine that is now (according to Cellartracker) a ~$4400 wine. I’m not sure whether I’ll ever drink that wine (or some of it’s similarly increased value brethren). Yes, 1% problems, but still problems.

Just don’t do what I do - don’t drink them because they’re worth too much and don’t sell them because there is too much friction. You’ll end up sitting on a bunch of pointy Cali pinot of very questionable aging potential. [berserker.gif]

Ultramarine

interesting. i’ve heard it mentioned that it’s pretty hard to get but had no idea
thanks

Difficult to see the problem here- Buy at 200 and SELL SELL SELL at 4400.00 At that point (IMHO), it is not a wine anymore… champagne.gif [cheers.gif]

Not to mention those of us who have a lot of older Bordeaux in the Cellar -

I used to be able to afford Classified Growths every good year, and am still quite heavy in 82-96 vintages. The problem is, I can’t afford to drink my own wines.

I’m not going to be able to replace Ducru Beaucaillou, Pichon Lalande and other favorites. Of course I am discovering the new breed of Petite Chateaux that are still affordable. But dammit, I still want to drink the big boys.

Replace “Ducru Beaucaillou, Pichon Lalande, etc.” with “Roumier, Rousseau, Mugneret-Gibourg, etc.” and you have my situation. As with you, absent a winning lotto ticket, I won’t be buying those wines again, and popping the ones I have has become increasingly difficult to imagine. But dammit, I still want to drink the big boys.

I don’t get it. Unless you’re actually going to sell it, or have used it as collateral in some sort of shady Acker transaction, price inflation shouldn’t stop you from enjoying a bottle of wine you purchased specifically to drink (and enjoy) in the first place. I also don’t get the notion that it’s difficult to find the right time/moment/place to open a bottle that’s become valuable. That just seems like a terribly bleak view to take on something that’s meant to be enjoyed. Life is far too short.

At the highest levels, you can almost always find a wine that is almost as good and costs a fraction.
For Petrus you can get a 6 pack of VCC
For Latour, also a 6 pack of Pontet Canet etc
The difference between the best and the almost as good is not much, and for the most part I would prefer to take the almost as good. Save a few bottles of the best for enjoying with friends, but even here, I would find it hard to open. $1000+ bottle

hmm. isn’t this just the concept of opportunity cost?

say a bottle was bought for $200, but now worth $4000/btl now… you can sell a case and buy a car… Unless you have large amounts of money… isn’t it fairly obvious the opportunity cost of drinking that btl is now very very high?

granted not ALL wine are easy to sell, but I would think the bottles that have gone up significantly in price are probably high in demand too?

^ this guy gets it.