When spell checking matters.....Ooops. Sorry Raj.

From Raj Parr’s latest mailing. I kid you not. You would think somebody would have caught that somewhere along the production line.

Inspiration & Collaboration

The story of Rajat Parr’s 2013 TROKEN Riesling

Riesling: If at first you don’t succeed, DRY & DRY again!
In the world of wine I am so blessed to have many deep and abiding friendships with all kinds of wonderful people. Johannes ‘Josi’ Leitz is the dearest of the dear to me because of his generous spirit, his love of life, and his deep devotion to his home in Germany’s Rheingau region. We have come of age together in the world of wine and our collaboration on this delightful little Riesling was a great learning experience and creative outlet for me. Read on to learn more about Troken Riesling.

Ouch!

Aw, how many Americans do you think would even notice? Not like there is a German language police in the US.

There actually is, but he does not post much.

Maybe TROKEN is a brand name.

Brocken Deutsch!

Troken is the name of the wine.

Troken is the name of the wine yes, and is accompanied by the following description:

“Riesling: If at first you don’t succeed, DRY & DRY again!”

Nobody I have ever met who has even a passing familiarity with wine, be they American or otherwise, thinks trocken (which means dry) is spelled without the “c”. In English the “-oken” combination is most often pronounced with a long “o” as in “broken”.

This is a reference to dry, a use of a foreign word to be cute, and in general an oversight of quality control by a person who should and does know far better.

Cannot make excuses for that by calling it a proper noun, sorry. :slight_smile:

Man, you must travel in erudite, multi-lingual circles. Few Americans know that “Stein” is pronounced stine, not steen.

Perhaps you underestimate the maker’s sense of playfulness.

Or, if we’re really fussy, gebrochen Deutsch.

Or dry humor?

Multi-lingual friends for the most part yes, and the rest, well just educated beyond CNN. :wink:

Have heard many say “-steen” for -stein at the end of a name. I chalk that up to some families choosing that pronunciation at entry into the US. Never once heard anyone refer to the beer mug that way though.

I may be, there is never zero possibility, but I highly doubt it. This is just human error I think. We may get an explanation somewhere along the line that it is on purpose, but that would be as believable as most of what comes out of the White House these days. :slight_smile:

First world spelling nazi problem.

I wonder whether this is just put a feeler out there for an all new style of Riesling - a bit of bait to see how it goes. You know, a Troken Horse…

I like that OP didn’t realize Troken is just the name of the wine label from Raj. This thread deserves its place in the hall of fame.

Or just a spelling mistake that should be corrected. Cultural awareness not being wildly popular these days in the US though, I imagine many will make excuses.

OP did realize. :slight_smile: OP also speaks German though so it stood out quite strongly. The use of a misspelled word for a name or a descriptor is still the use of a misspelled word.

I wonder why all the excuses are being made.

Put the shovel down and step away from the hole.