The .375 thread

I am always on the lookout for good, cheap(ish) wines to cellar in .375 size for drinking on the subway, in the office, in movies, etc. They don’t pop up very often; usually, you pay a huge premium to buy in half bottle size.

So, if you see something, say something, here.

E.g., Envoyer just had the 2006 LdH Tondonia for $18. There may be some left; I don’t know.

Whatcha got?

Last Bottle had a great deal on 2014 Bodegas San Valero Garnacha Particular Old Vine for $7.50 per, I snagged a (half) case and haven’t regretted it!

Also have 8 or so 2012 Carmes de Rieussec stickies in 375ml for only $12 per. Not sure how that would work on the subway . . .

2 Likes

Great thread, Neal.

Were I given a second chance on the wines I have accumulated, I would love to have a bulk of those, say 1/3-1/2, in 375. So often I want to pop a very nice bottle mid-week but don’t wanna knock it down by myself. Wife drinks white. This would be my best advice to new collectors.

Château Thivin make very useful half bottles… but the half bottle premium seems to be in action in the US market.

1 Like

Think of it as a volume discount on the 750. Packaging costs for us increase by nearly 100% on 375 ML bottles. It’s the same cork so twice the cost, the bottle costs about 2/3rds what a 750 does so two of them are 33% more expensive than a 750. Labels are MORE expensive and there are 2 of them so over 100% increase there. You’re not paying a premium. You’re paying for what it costs.

2 Likes

I own so few of these and they really for us come in handy. Whether it is a NV Godme Rose or something like a chardonnay that my wife will drink, it is perfect for us over a single dinner. I wish I had more and buy them when I find them for the wines I drink.

ATM, I have no actionable intelligence on 375s. Right now, I have these half bottles in the cellar or on order (the 375s are the only 2015-16 bdx I bought):

1975 Château Beychevelle
2016 Château Calon-Ségur
2010 Château Cambon La Pelouse Haut-Médoc
2006 Château Canon
2015 Château Cantemerle Haut-Médoc
2016 Domaine de Chevalier Pessac-Léognan
NV Gosset Champagne Brut Grande Réserve Champagne
2016 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste
1995 Château La Lagune Haut-Médoc
2012 La Chapelle de La Mission Haut-Brion
2010 Château La Tour-Martillac
2003 Château Lanessan (only one left, sadly)
2006 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia
2012 Château Rauzan-Ségla

1 Like

Thank you Mr. Anderson. Packaging nightmare, and if you make them they don’t move. If you don’t make them everybody wants some…

1 Like

Grabbed a handful of 2011 Araujo Eisele at $50 from Flatiron a few weeks ago. Yes, 2011, but worth it.

I’ve got a Pousse D’Or 2009 Cailleret sitting in the office right now Neal neener

The last sentence is very true and a really weird phenomenon. We eventually settled into making 64 twelve-packs of 375s with three wines. Seems to satisfy the rumblings for it without making it too crazy for us. But we have our own bottling line which makes it possible. Doing those on a mobile service really costs you on change fees if you are doing as little as we do.

1 Like

I have a corkscrew!

Bassins has/had 2000 calonsegur in halves

I’m in midtown. Stop by any time!

Almost 11% of mycellar is inhalf bottle whichis why,when I put in the second cellar I did dedicated half bottle racking.

I’ve been thinking about 375’s a lot lately. Makes so much sense for sparkling wine and porto, but the premium can be onerous. K&L was selling (think they are still offering Fonseca) 375’s of 2016 Taylor, Fonseca and Graham’s for $50 (pre-delivery) vs $90 for the 750’s, which I didn’t think was too bad. K&L still has 375’s of Roederer Estate for $12 or half the price of a 750. Cheers!

Boy, I thought the Particular were barely drinkable. Using for cooking. did pick up 2015 Senejac 375’s for about $10 each from Last Bottle a bit back. Good values come up so infrequently that you have to bite hard when they do.

So make 500 ml.

Most nights I am the only drinker in the house. I should have 50% or more half bottles, but there is not enough variety on the market.

My favorite shop tends to stock Ridge and LdH in halves, and I buy a ton of those. I also buy a case of Bordeaux futures in halves about every other year. The Rhys futures have been great for 375 and 500 ml bottles. Always looking for more. Thanks for mentioning that there might be a chance to get PG in halves Jim.

The one thing I wish, is that all 375 came in straight sided bottles. The Burg style halves are a royal PITA!

Dude! [winner.gif] [ken.gif]