Pax Exits WindGap to Focus on Pax

“Mahle told Wine-Searcher that he had been trying to get out of his partnership with Terroir Life long before its founder Charles Banks pled guilty to federal wire fraud last year.”

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2018/07/pax-mahle-flies-solo?h=1

Probably a good move.

Cross one winery off my list. No more Wind Gap.

I’m not happy about it, but there will be Pax.

I would anyone who’s a fan of Wind Gap would have an easy transition to Pax. Sounds like many, if not most, of the wines will transition to that label.

Has Mahle been incredibly unlucky with partners?

The article did not give any indication of who they sold it to. I’d be curious to know. Any insights out there?

At the end of the day, I’m really happy for him and his independence. He definitely has earned it :slight_smile:

I thought the Donelan split was just a normal business “divorce”. I didn’t know there were issues that would fit your description.

They spent several days in court and months litigating I believe.

Correct, I purchased Exhibit B nd Exhibit C from Agharta and Pax couldn’t use the Pax name for like 3 years

Wind Gap was such a prettier label. Should have kept that one.

Wells Guthrie out at Copain too.

I don’t think so. He’s no longer part of the ownership but he’s still the winemaker.

I thought I read that Ryan Zepaltas was the winemaker at Copain . . .

Yep.

Or partners with him.

I like his wines and Banks was a crook. But not all of his partners were.

The Copain Website still lists Wells as the “Founder and Winemaker”…

When did this happen?

To describe it as anything but contentious would be wrong. I spoke to Pax about it when he was in NY about 5 years ago pouring some of the early Windgap sines, I would not want to repeat my recollection of what he said from memory because I could easily mis-remember the specifics, but I have no doubt that he thought the break up was a mess and he got screwed. See Pax’s post here in my thread about that meeting for confirmation. Pax Mahle: Going over to the dark side, seeing the light, chocolate and asparagus - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers. Joe Donelan probably felt the same way on the other side. If that makes it a “normal” business divorce, so be it.

As to his wines - I have always loved what he does with grapes. The 2004 Pax wines that I saved just to test ageability are going strong. I do not own more of the newer ones only because I buy too much wine altogether and there’s a lot of good stuff out there.

I could easily mis-remember the specifics, but I have no doubt that he thought the break up was a mess and he got screwed. See Pax’s post here in my thread about that meeting for confirmation. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=80692&hilit=pax#p1109153. Joe Donelan probably felt the same way on the other side.

He did. I spoke to him about it several times.

That said, I like both of their wines.

Don’t know when, but got the impression it was recent that Ryan tweeted about it.