PYCM IS AOK

With a few ‘16’s arriving and some picked off some local lists, I have been on a PYCM tear over the past couple of months.

2016 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bourgogne-Aligoté: There’s a touch of flint and something lactic but this is a wine of tremendous fruit purity. At its heart is a huge squeeze of lemon. It is direct, linear and the finish is strewn with minerals

2016 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bourgogne Blanc: Some flint on the nose at first. It has very pure peach and spiced pear fruits. There’s excellent depth and precision for its level and plenty of mineral on the finish

2016 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin Le Banc: There’s some restrained exoticism to the wine and it certainly has good flesh and an unctuous mouthfeel. The line of St-Aubin is buried just below the surface and it is a wine that has a huge puff of chalky dry extract to the finish.

2016 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru “Cuvée Marguerite”: Loaded with intense citrus fruit aromas and flavours. There’s some honeysuckle and plenty of mineral too. It has an unctuous feel in the mouth with a rigid spine and fabulous build. The finish is seriously chalky and long.

2016 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Chatenière: Plenty of struck match reduction. The wine is deep, compact, dense and intense. It has preserved lemon and white peach fruits. It is sappy and direct with loads of dry extract and a finish that drives on long and hard.

2016 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Beaune Creuzilly: Immediately generous and accessible with ripe orchard fruit and preserved lemon aromas and flavours. It has some struck match and a chalky base and is a beautifully crafted wine of good character.

2016 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Santenay Vieilles Vignes Ceps Centenaires: Quite reductive at first and the wood is evident. There’s a core of black cherry fruit and plenty of aniseed spice. It is luscious and full of flavour. There’s some floral nuance and a finish that is long.

2015 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly: Quite reductive to begin with, showing plenty of smoke and flint. It had powerful and sappy orchard fruits and was generous and full in the mouth. Remilly’s posture meant the wine had certain rigidity and freshness and length was very good.

2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chevalier-Montrachet: Blinded by a friend, this was the second bottle in a week and what a wine. It has so much poise and finesse. There’s notes of ripe peach, lemon, flint and smoke. It is intense, direct, layered and linear. There’s richness without heaviness and superb drive. Length goes on and on.

2007 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Chenevottes: Pours out with a green tinge and is a fresh and vibrant wine of terrific character. There’s a hint of toasty development along with pure white peach and lemon fruits. It has richness but has such great clarity, you feel each rocky bump. Flavours hang in the mouth for a long time well after the wine is swallowed. A superb wine!

Thanks for the notes on the 16’s. I haven’t tried any yet, but year in and year out, PYCM is making some wonderful wines. I’ll be having the 08 Meursault Perrieres tonight with Alan.

Thanks Jeremy for the notes and update. Based on what you’ve tasted to date, what’s your assessment of the 2016 vintage relative to, say, 2011-15? Both for PYCM and white burgundy. (I know its a very broad question, but you are an oracle after all.)
Jerry, agree with you.

You need to try 2015 PYCM Corton Charlemagne. It is really a wow wine, as good as the Chevalier.

Had the 07 LP last night, along with the 15 CC…the LP was consensus corked, but I wasn’t fully convinced. :stuck_out_tongue: In my glass the nose was in and out with a little mustiness to go along with the smoke reduction…but the palate had piercing acidity and classic pycm lemon/lime and peach pit fruit. Totally enjoyable for me!
The 15 cc is definitely richer than the 14 and not as energized…more subtle, but a true joy to drink now, while waiting for the 14 to age.

Thank you Dave for your assessment of the CC. The tasting note on the Chevalier had me salivating, and then when I checked pricing realized if I really wanted to could possibly swing 1 btl at the most. The Corton Charlie is something that I could swing several bottles of and enjoy through the years. PYCM to my palate has without fail been right in my wheelhouse from their premier cru and up every single time.

That’s interesting. When I last had it in February, I found it—and all the higher AOC 2015s—very closed and wrapped up with SO2. I followed bottles over several days and they never really opened up.

FWIW, PY thinks the Bâtard is his best 2015—and I agree.

Jerry opened the 2010 MP for me last night. Spectacularly fine young wine. Hope to find some 2016 soon.

Brad,

I think that 2016 is a very good vintage for white. It is ripe, a la 2009 and 2012, but there’s better acidity and freshness. Some of the wines are quite dense but they don’t feel heavy to me. The PYCM '16’s I have tried have been outstanding. You get the ripeness of fruit, with just the right amount of reduction and the usual chalky dry extract that I love.

Cheers
Jeremy

These wines have become maybe my favorite white wines anywhere. Even the 16 Bourgogne is stellar, if lacking the depth and same precision as other bottlings. It’s well worth the price. Although recent auctions have made me concerned for future availability given the prices they’re fetching! Great notes. Thanks for them.