Williams Selyem - Fall Release - August 6th

I just got an email from Williams Selyem notifying me of their Fall Release starting on August 6th…

What are your thoughts here?

The Fall 2018 Release will include the following wines:

2016 Eastside Road Neighbors Pinot Noir
2016 Vista Verde Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Calegari Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Foss Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Weir Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Ferrington Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Coastlands Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Allen Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Burt Williams’ Morning Dew Ranch Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Lewis MacGregor Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Rochioli Riverblock Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Precious Mountain Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Williams Selyem Estate Vineyard Pinot Noir
2016 Allen Vineyard Chardonnay
2016 Drake Estate Vineyard Chardonnay
2016 Lewis MacGregor Estate Vineyard Chardonnay
2016 Williams Selyem Estate Vineyard Chardonnay
2016 Bacigalupi Vineyard Zinfandel
2016 Saitone Estate Vineyard Zinfandel
2012 Vista Verde Vineyard Port, 375mL*

I am a fan boy, so my opinion should be taken that way.

Have you ordered before?

If not, take the hit and get one of each and taste through them in the next several mos, with copious notes and then develop your profile.

I know people who hit each SVD differently, so your own palate has to be the driver.

Apologies if that is just a platitude. [cheers.gif]

I like the Pinots, but not so much the Chards and Zins. I still buy several Pinots every year, but prices are starting to get uncomfortable. IMO the Pinots are stylistically similar with some nuances for site. I agree that you have to try a few to determine what to buy in the future. Cheers!

The Rochioli Riverblock I think is their strongest offering. The 2013 is still presently my favorite domestic pinot.

I’m curious whether they’ll have any library offerings. Last year, a few days after the offer went live they added the 2013 Rochioli and 2013 Bucher.

No Bucher this year. Anyone know why?

RE: Bucher, talked to them (as Bucher is my fav SVD, love the funk) and they said they had a mechanical failure with the tank during ferment and they lost the whole batch.

Lauren and I really love Ferrington, so we’re gonna pick up a few there, a Morning Dew or two, and a couple others, normally we go big on Bucher but, alas.

Ahh that’s definitely unfortunate. Thank you for the information!

Prices are getting close to my uncomfortable zone. I don’t think the chardonnays are worth the $65 when a number of the solid pinots are also at that price point. I’ll probably just buy 1 each of the pinots except for the >$85 ones (probably 1/3 of them now) because I like variety. I’ve loved the Williams Selyem wines since the 2010 vintage and stylistically they seem to be consistent across vintages and vineyards. I do love the Rochioli…

I’ve been on the W-S mailing list since about the 2005 vintage. I’ve always enjoyed the wines (the Pinots), especially the ‘house style’ of slightly higher acidity and ageability.

I have not tasted more than a couple bottles since the 2014 vintage (I tend to let the Pinots age at least 5 yrs from vintage), and I’m wondering if anyone has input on whether Jeff Mangahas has maintained a similar style to that of Bob Cabral? Can anyone comment on this? Thanks

I received the advanced notice on 7/23 and opted for most of the Pinots as usual. A good chunk of the offering will be reduced by 8/6, so I encourage all who are interested to get your order in ASAP.

Always a favorite producer. I picked up a Ferringron and Wier, and 2 each Allen Pinot and chard. I tend toward their more elegant offerings. On that note, I see that the Drake Estate chard at 13.9% is notably lower alcohol than in the past. Old CT notes and my memory recall a pineapple element that I steer away from. WS producer notes this year sound a bit different than that…a lighter profile, “a freshness on the palate”, which isn’t a common descriptor (other than the unoaked chard). WS chards are generally plenty ripe, this seems like a bit of a change. Anyone tried a 16?

Those are a lot of wines for a single offering - how expensive of a hit are we talking about here?

I went for the Rochioli (of which the 13 is my favorite Cali pinot to date), Allen, and Saitone zin.

I was surprised by there being no library offerings, as there were last year.

Josh – I think part of the reason for the library inclusion last year was due to the very, very low yields of 2015, so they wanted to give people additional buying options since allocations were slim.

Great wines. I went long. Birth year for the younger daughter. How could I not?!

Ahh I bet you’re right.