A New Wine Castle in Napa

What amounts to Napa County wine family royalty will build a Chiles Valley castle of a winery.

Carolyn Martini and her husband, Barry Cox, on Wednesday obtained Napa County Planning Commission approval to build Castlevale. The winery will look like a medieval castle, but one far more modest than Dario Sattui’s grand Castello di Amorosa, a major tourist attraction on Highway 29.

Martini is the granddaughter of Louis M. Martini, who established his famous, eponymous winery just south of St. Helena along Highway 29 in 1933. The family sold Louis M. Martini Winery in 2002 to the Gallo family, whom Carolyn Martini called “long-time family friends.”

Now, Carolyn Martini and Cox, along with their son Hollsted Cox and his wife Jennifer Cox, plan to produce up to 30,000 gallons of wine annually at Castlevale.

“This little winery will complete our heritage,” Carolyn Martini said.

The winery castle design is based on the castle design of the nearby Martini-Cox house. Carolyn Martini said after the meeting that her husband came up with the idea for the house that was constructed three decades ago.

“It was really Barry’s every-boy-should-have-a castle dream,” she said.

Cox built a model of his planned house out of Legos when figuring out the proportions, Martini said.

Castlevale winery will be 22,051 square feet and 35 feet tall with a 50-foot-tall tower. It will have a small tasting area inside the building and hold some marketing events on a rooftop terrace with views of the surrounding vineyards and mountains.

Built into the hillside, the winery will be made from limestone plaster over cast-in-place concrete, with wooden timber and trim on architectural features and a flat clay tile roof.

“It’s very functional,” consultant Donna Oldford told the Planning Commission. “But it’s their dream, so it follows the winery would be a castle winery.”

The Planning Commission by unanimous vote did its part to make the Martini-Cox dream come true.

The crenellations are the most important part of this sort of thing and freakin’ nobody ever gets them right.

Thumbs down!

If they’re not dumping boiling oil on the patrons as they enter, it’s not really authentic.

LOL thank you Alan.

Wealth is no grantor of even a small amount of good taste. It’s nice to see this proven again.

Why y’all hating? Per the article, it’s just a “modest” castle. Probably won’t even have a dungeon. Of course, with California’s water situation, a moat is out of the question.
I, for one, plan to visit, if only so I can stand on the roof and yell, “Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries!”

fify
And don’t forget the taunting.

Damn that’s ugly.

Fetchez la vache!

30,000 gallons of wine (approx 13K cases)? That seems a rather large amount for an area such as Chiles valley. These claim to have 55 acres of which only 30 is planted. In comparison, Volker Eisele is one of the larger producers in the area at 60 acres/4000 cases annually. Not exactly a high yield area.

And the proportions are all wrong. If they wanted a simple tower castle, they should have gone with something like this:

True, but the arrow slits, if used, can also be effective. Nice to see that they’re in the design. :slight_smile:

Their long range plan…

she’s a beaut!

money and taste as they say…

It reminds me of visiting Monticello Vineyards many years ago, with its ersatz Jeffersonian structure. Our hostess explained that Mr. Corley, the owner, had great respect for Thomas Jefferson, to which my friend muttered, “A great deal of respect, but not a great deal of understanding.”

Unfortunately, Mr. Corley skimped on a crucial feature (cf. ro·tun·da (rōˈtəndə): noun - a round building or room, especially one with a dome).

Damn, and he gave them a great architectural plan…

Mr. Corley was very insistent on French doors off the “rotunda.”

I’m told the plumbing is authentically 18th Century, however.

Who sang that, I think it was The Band: “Life Is A Carnival, Believe It Or Not.”

Musically, it also brings to mind:

-Z2T5FEHw40