2012 CA Pinot Noirs

2012 Pinot Noirs – Talbott Sleepy Hollow and Patz & Hall Sonoma Coast

I had these soon after the 2005 Mount Eden Chardonnay, but that was a perfect wine that deserved its own note.

Not that there were any flies on either of these, but there was a controversy. The Talbott was very Burgundian, while the Patz & Hall screamed ‘New World’ and the tasters were evenly split on preference, with everybody but me strongly favoring one or the other.

Talbott: Medium ruby color with a tiny bit of bricking. The aromas feature red cherry and an abundance of earthy character; clean dirt, nothing at all funky. There were lovely secondary notes. The palate was medium bodied, with the texure showing more breadth than depth, there was fine subtlety, with black cherry joining the red, a hint of red plum, a lot of earth and a pleasingly spherical feeling. The finish was surprisingly long. Rated 91, seems fully mature but I would not be afraid to hold a few years.

Patz & Hall: Deep crimson to the rim. The aromas are more powerful but simpler, black rather than red cherry with a mineral hint. The palate is ripe and polished, again with glossy black cherry fruit and maybe a touch of black raspberry; I didn’t look at the alcohols, but I’d guess this a point higher than the Talbott. The fruit and mid-palate were very satisfying, the finish was shorter and simpler. Can you say ‘fruit bomb’? Rated 91, seems like it could improve for a few years.

I preferred the Patz & Hall with the grilled duck, but even though it was richer, I would prefer the Talbott in the fall or winter and it would definitely be better with confit or cassoulet.

A very enjoyable and interesting comparison.

Dan Kravitz

Thanks for the tasting notes, Dan!!

I am not a Pinot Noir expert, but I can agree with you full-heartedly on P&H being made in the fruitier “New World” style.

Haven’t had either of these but other ‘12 CA Pinots have been very good. Recently a ‘12 Littorai Hirsch was great. A year in which a lot of good material seemed to have supported a wide range of styles and most are well open at this point.

Finished a bottle of the 2012 Ceritas Hellenthal Pinot last night that was delicious and a great example of less is more. Subtle cranberry, bitter cherry, touch of citrus and plent of supporting acidity that lead to a lengthy, bright and mineral laden red fruit finish. Very elegant and damn delicious. I definitely need to start pulling corks on more ‘12 CA Pinots.

Calera Selleck and Ceritas Escarpa have been personal favorites for 2012. Last time I had checked in on them, around Christmas, both were a few years out from prime drinking window IMO.

I agree with this, having the 12 Escarpa tonight and wish I had waited longer.

I think Ceritas wines will age forever.

The ‘12 cirq is very nice.

I apologize as upon recycling I noticed this was the 12 Elliott, not the Escarpa I uncorked.

The 2012 wines are really good. Just starting to round into form, but these are really going to provide great drinking!

I agree. I started drinking my 2012’s last November. Got through about a half a dozen and slammed on the brakes. Really looking forward to trying these again this fall. Cheers!