Advice for 1978 Rinaldi Barbaresco or Poggio Brunnello

I am in the market for a 1978 Barolo or Brunello as a birth year present, and Chambers in NY has two possible options (a Barbaresco and a Brunello). I have limited experience purchasing such old bottles, and would be appreciative for any thoughts on these two bottles. I can purchase/gift neither, either or both of them. Chambers vouches for the fills/capsule/label quality, but claims they have not tasted them. CT has no tasting notes either. Am trying to get more information from Chambers, but as of now all I have is the listing information. Any advice from folks here on these bottles would be appreciated!

https://www.chambersstwines.com/Products/10457/1978-rinaldi-francesco-barbaresco
1978 Poggio alle Mura Brunello di Montalcino
1978 Francesco Rinaldi Barbaresco

i dont have any insight into the particular bottles, but:
chambers is normally really good at being responsive to questions about bottles or requests for more photos if needed. i have yet to ask about specific providence for a bottle from them via email yet, but the 1970 Produttori I got from them was in great condition and arrived safe and sound.

1978 seems to be a stronger year in Piedmont than in Tuscany, if you believe vintage charts. I’ve not had either wine.

Haven’t had either one, but on average a well-kept Barbaresco has no problems surviving 40 years, but I’ve found many (fortunately not all) Brunellos starting to fall apart after 20.

If I had to pick one where the other is Brunello and the other’s a Nebbiolo, I’d always go for the latter one.

nebbiolo > sangiovese, ceteris paribus.

Tom Gutting has a current note on the front page of wine talk on what sounds like a stellar showing for '78 Aldo Conterno. If you need another data point to lean you nebbiolo.

+1

And 1978 was an excellent year for Barolo/Barbaresco.

It was a GREAT bottle, and I leaned on this purchase based on the reputation for Nebbiolo in 1978. It did not disappoint.

The Barbaresco has a good chance of being in a great place. The Brunello is likely over the hill. I wouldn’t even consider buying the Brunello. I’d love to have the Barbaresco.

Thank you for all the advice. Lifted two of the 1978 Barbarescos. Thank you for not buying them before I did!

The recipient should be pleased. Also, Chambers was great to deal with. Printed out decanting instructions for the recipient as well (6-8 hour decant for 20+ old Nebbiolo).

Great! Make sure the bottles are rested, undisturbed, upright or at about 45 degrees for at least several days and preferably several weeks before they’re decanted. Old Nebbiolo typically has very fine sediment that they definitely don’t want mixed in with the wine they’re drinking.

+1

Very fine and very bitter sediment.

Thank you
Looks like someone bought the 3rd and last bottle from chambers too!

Hi all, that last sentence may answer the question I have. I have one bottle of 78 Barolo and thinking of opening it this weekend. Have not opened such an older bottle of Barolo before. Any tips? Stand it up; decant or no?

Edit: whoops, I missed the few posts above that that seem to answer the question. Sounds like stand it up for a long time and decant are the ways to go.

DEFINITELY stand it up. at least a couple of days before opening. I try to open my old Nebs at least 6 hours before I plan to drink them to at least get a feel for where they’re at. typically, I’ll just pour a small sip and let it sit, because I like to take my time and see it evolve and open up in the glass, but I’ve decanted it a few hours ahead before too. old nebbiolo fairly commonly gets some amazing new life after a couple hours of air time, even the color livens up and changes. but definitely stand up a few days and decant an old nebbiolo!

Chambers advice to me was stand it up for at least a few days and ideally 2 weeks. Said the wine would be very sedimenty and did not suggest trying to get every last drop, even with a cheese cloth. Suggested pouring out what you can and then pouring the last glass separately and not mixing it with the remaining wine.

Thanks for the advice guys. Turns out I’m going to save that bottle for next year’s birthday so will be sure to stand it up a few days beforehand.

Opened a 78 Jordan cab tonight instead…either this bottle is super tertiary or just well past its prime…

Maybe both.