"traditional" California wines

I’m looking for reccs on some good examples of Cali Cabs/bordeaux blends that did a better job resisting the big wine pull Parker and the 90s-00s. Dont have much experience with California’s wines short of new releases and want to see what some of these bottles are like with some age, but am generally not a fan of really “big” wines.

Any suggestions?

Ridge Monte Bello is to me the greatest American wine.

Monte Bello is a great choice. Apart from a few riper years in the 2010s, I think the Forman Cabernets are about as good as it gets for the classically styled wines. They are great expressions of California Cabernet. I also dig Spottswoode from the 1990s a lot. Chateau Montelena always rocks, as well.

Smith Madrone

Here are some recommendations made by a more experienced Cabernet taster than I will ever be:

New York Times
“In Napa, Some Wineries Choose the Old Route”
by Eric Asimov
August 19, 2008

Frog’s Leap
•.Corison
Clos du Val
Kongsgaard
Dominus
Smith-Madrone
Heitz Cellars
Mayacamas

New York Times
“A Return to Napa Classic Style”
by Eric Asimov
March 26, 2015

3 x 2012 Napa Traditionalists:

1.) Frog’s LeapRutherford” Estate Grown
2.) Philip TogniTanbark Hill
3.) Ramey Cellars Napa Valley

Good recommendations above. Would add:
Montelena Estate
Laurel Glen

Philip Togni.

https://www.cellartracker.com/list.asp?Table=List&Wine=Philip+Togni+Cabernet+Sauvignon

Where to buy Togni | prices & local stores in USA

K&L claims to have the 1991 for less than $200.

There is also some old Chappellet by Togni, on Wine-Searcher, but it’s getting very expensive.

Six responses and no one has mentioned Dunn.

Paradigm
Madrigal
Saddleback

Dominus
Dehlinger

Dunn
Diamond Creek
Ridge
Togni

Those are our favorites, though there are many others, including others mentioned above

Ritchie Creek.

Ridge (and not just the Monte Bello, can get the Estate)
Chateau Montelena
Togni
Dunn
Stony Hill
Mayacamas (does anyone know if this is still correct after the property was sold?)
Heitz

Simi
Rodney strong
Good values in the scheme of things as well

Mount Eden

Thanks! I never woulda thought Frogs Leap. Never had it before (obviously) but I guess I always had it pegged for a fruit bomb wine.

I really appreciate all the advice everyone! Definitely need to search out some Ridge and Montelena with some age looks like. I think I may have a source of some back vintage Clos du Val and Heitz I’ll have to check out.

My absolute favorite Cabernet producer for so many years - Pete Minor was such a big part of what was so special about Napa Valley - who’s farming this land now? Are the Cabernet’s good? I loved Minor’s Blaufankisch, and remember when he started getting excited about this wine - how is it now?

+1 for Madrigal

Montelena had TCA issues in the early 2000’s.

Monte Bello
Phillip Togni
Clos du Val
I like Dunn but find it to be non-traditional due to the really high tannin levels