Why are corkscrews so short ?

Lately ive been suffering from corks snapping when being opened. It is the higher quality corks on older bottles that cause most issues.

Why dont they just make the screws longer ? Its an easy fix

Not to reveal a trade secret (sorry Francois) but there is a way to avoid this. First, use a regular waiter’s corkscrew and gently pull the cork out about 1/4 of an inch (a little less than a cm). Remove the waiter’s corkscrew from the cork, then grab one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Twister-Black-Easy-Corkscrew-True/dp/B002RFUB0K/ref=sr_1_10
corkscrew.jpg
Remove the plastic part from the corkscrew and you have a very long screw section.
screw.jpg
Screw that into the cork and remove cork carefully by hand.

Works like a charm.

I recommend using an Ah-So. Bought the Monopol some years ago and have used it 100% successfully on bottles back to 1994.

Here is an explanation video from Francois:

This corkscrew looks like a copy of the Screwpull LeCreuset.
Phil Jones

Yes, there are lots of makers of these kinds of corkscrews. The Le Creuset is a bit pricey, though. Any solid one of similar style will do.

Is there a groove in the outside edge of the worm of your corkscrew Alan?

I bought a dozen of these many years ago. It is my corkscrew of choice. Once you master it, you will never go back.

I have given a number of them to people who have shown interest in mastering the method.

I do keep a cheapie corkscrew with the arms that I use for non-100% natural cork. Fake corks will kill your authentic stainless steel Monopol.

I’ll admit that I really don’t like Ah-So corkscrews, as they destroy the writing on the cork. I also don’t like the way they scrape against the inside glass of the bottle neck.

Finally, they can create difficulties with older corks, hence why the Durand was invented.

LAGUIOLE EN AUBRAC or nothing !

I use a Durand. Rarely fails for me.

The Durand adds a cork screw, the Ah So is just the 2 prongs

This. When it comes to opening wines, and in particular, older wines…this is the only tool you’ll ever need.

A bit pricey for sure (I held off buying one for a while because of that), but well, well worth it.

I have the hardest time finding an Ah-So that’s long enough. I’ve had too many bottles where the last half inch of cork falls off and gets stuck. I think one of the problems is that with a really old cork the cork sometimes seems to stretch a bit, making it even longer.

I sometimes cut the top of the cork off so I can push the Ah-So further, but I wonder if there’s a different technique I should be trying.

There sure is a different technique you should be using. It’s called a Durand. :wink:

Seriously though. Save yourself any further aggrevstion and make the purchase. Promise you’ll be happy you did.

Agree the Durand a nice tool

One of those plus a good ah-so is better than a Durand.

Agreed. Sometimes the worm on a Durand is too short and the bottom few mm of cork separates.

Thanks very much. This was a tremendous video! Never used this method and it is quite helpful. Francois, whatever you think of his tasting events, is truly an interesting guy and obviously has opened a LOT of old bottles of wine, Now I just have to find one of those extra long worms to use… [worship.gif]

Amazon
Twister Black Easy Turn Corkscrew by True [cheers.gif]