Favorite Zero Dosage Producers

I’m relatively new to exploring zero dosage champagnes so I’m interested in hearing about favorite producers here. Let me know your top 3.

As a point of reference my favorite is Cedric Bouchard. I actually was not aware these were zero dosage when I first drank a Val Vilaine several years ago. Thus, I guess my preferred style is one of balance where the acidity is not shrill and overpowering and the fruit is allowed to speak for itself. Cedric’s wines present themselves as great Chablis with bubbles.

Here’s some winners IMHO Russ:

MV Bérèche & Fils Extra Brut Réserve
NV Georges Laval Brut Nature
NV Benoît Lahaye Brut Nature
NV Paul Goerg Cuvée Absolu Extra Brut
NV Ayala Brut Nature- tasted in the winery with then Pres. Herve Augustin]
NV Tarlant Brut Zero
NV Pierre Gimonnet et Fils Zero Dosage Champagne
2009 [current release- the first one was the 2006] Louis Roederer Brut Nature Millesimé Elaboré Champagne Philippe Starck
NV Laurent-Perrier Extra [Ultra] Brut
NV Pol Roger Extra Brut
NV Cattier Absolu Extra Brut
2009 Larmandier-Bernier Terre de Vertus

My top 3:

#! 2009 [current release- the first one was the 2006] Louis Roederer Brut Nature Millesimé Elaboré Champagne Philippe Starck

#2 NV Ayala Brut Nature- tasted in the winery with then Pres. Herve Augustin]

#3 NV Laurent-Perrier Extra [Ultra] Brut

I have been impressed by Bouchard as well. Stylistically, NV Laherte Brut Nature as a similar feel, though not quite as supple or silky because it is blanc de blanc. Roederer’s Starck cuvee is also pretty good, went for multiple bottles after finding some on sale.

Marie-Noëlle Ledru’s Extra Brut

Tarlant, Fleury, Ledru, Bereche, Larmandier Bernier

Um, I could be wrong, but what Bereche is brut nature?

Don’t get me wrong, Russ absolutely should get Bereche in his champers rotation, but from what I remember, they at least use some dosage in making their wines (and the brut Reserve is normally around 7g)

Thanks guys. Quite a few names I’m not familiar with and the only one mentioned so far that I have in my cellar is the Ledru Extra Brut.

Definitely Tarlant. The Roederer one Blake mentions is also excellent. It’s an interesting wine, as the House essentially says they work backwards from an ideal Brut Zero to produce the wine. The Larmandier-Bernier Terre de Vertus is also excellent, though if memory serves this is a vintage, rather than NV wine. My bubbly bar stocked the 09 and has the 10 on the way.

My favorites are the Benoit Lahaye La Violaine and the Roederer Cuvee Starck Brut Nature. Both relatively recent bottlings, the Starck has only had 2 vintages to date - '06 and '09.

Yikes…the Roederer and Lahaye are $80.

Well, the question was favorite rather than best QPR :slight_smile:

I’ve paid as little as $60 for the '06 Roederer but that was a while ago. I think I paid $90 for my '09 :frowning:

Prevost and Laval

I know Jay. It just seems wine prices are continuing to skyrocket and I will soon be priced out of many wines I enjoy. However, I consider myself lucky to have a pretty deep cellar and as I approach retirement in a few years the cost of purchasing wine is going to take care of itself.

Laherte Freres has several including an awesome pinot meunier d"Autrefois and BdB. Love Laval but pricey and don’t forget Jacquesson.

You`re absolutely correct Jim. As now corrected, it was the 2009 L-B-T I had.

For anyone interested in the '09 Roederer/Starck Brut Nature, BevMo currently has it on clearance for $40 ($100 - 60% sale for Club members). This should be available at all stores, and may even be available on delivery orders from the website - the discount shows in your shopping cart, or at the register in store. Some stores have it in the sale section, while some still have it locked in the champagne cabinet, or in the stock room.

BevMo website link:Shop - BevMo!

If you’re checking in store, the SKU is 111665.

One store I visited had the '06 and the '09, but most appear to only have the '09. The BevMo website doesn’t indicate the vintage, but if you order/reserve online, expect the '09.

Good luck!

Russ, there are a # of producers who make a cuvee non-dose, but if I put those one-offs aside and post about the producers that I like that go for this approach across their range, then it would be these below. I am surprised no one has posted on these but I guess that is good, as they stay relatively off the radar, which probably helps with price and supply.

Marie-Courtin, made by Dominique Moreau
Marguet, made by Benoit Marguet

Cedric Mousse and Frederic Miniere have made some non-dose things that I have liked, as with Savart Expression which may have been one of my favorite champagnes of this year so far. Unfortunately, I cannot find the wine anywhere in the US and I even emailed Frederic Savart to check on it. No reply.

I have had a couple of killer bottles of Ulysse Colin, which I thought were zero dosage but are apparently generally 1-2g. Doesn’t quite qualify, but they were delicious and distinctive…

Another vote for the Roederer Brut Nature Starck ‘09.
Loved it @ $60.