TN: 2015 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast)

Kutch and Big Table Farm Chardonnays last night. BTF was good, too, just didn’t get to pay it enough attention.
Hold this Kutch if you have it.

• 2015 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/26/2018)
    I think JRICK’s note right before mine in CT nails where this wine is right now. As with the '14, I’m initially smitten by the wine. It shows old world, it reads Chablis. Briny, and lemony, but there is a richer fruit profile that is really appealing and brings us back to CA. However, with air, the super-tart green apple and wiry acidity really come on and plant themselves in the forefront. Perhaps this just needs more time. Again, good, very good even, but slightly one-dimensional now, so leave alone for a bit if you have 'em.

Posted from CellarTracker

I was very happy with mine a couple days ago, Dennis:

"2015 Kutch Sonoma Chard

Man, this has come into its own very nicely now. Nose of light sweet herbs overlaid by citrus fruit. To taste, it’s like biting into a just-unripe tangerine. The bracing juiciness of this and how it grips your cheeks is rather irresistible. Only gets more focused with time in the glass, promising a long future."

Interesting, Mike I like the wine, didn’t mean to imply I wasn’t happy. Just showed a bit more linear than I yours I suppose. Though, the grip on the cheeks you mention I can get with it. And I agree there appears to be a long future. Cheers!

Yes, Dennis, didn’t take that impression from your OP. Just making a statement as to my own reaction to it, and obviously with different tasting notes. That’s what makes this interesting, of course!

Mike

Dennis. Agree with what I think you’re saying, that the 15 isn’t as initially gob-smacking as the 14, which is truly a rock star. But it’s really good. My youngest daughter is getting married this fall (lives in SF), and the 2015 is the Chardonnay we’re serving at the reception (thanks Jamie). I suspect the attendees will be happy!

Right on, Brad, in terms of relation to the '14. Congrats on the wedding! This wine will be a hit for sure. Cheers!

Agree on the 14 also (which I know is a view shared by many, all the more remarkable as it was Jamie’s first Chard).

I believe the 2014 was a blend from Trout Gulch and Zayante in Santa Cruz Mountains, where the ’15 and ’16 are Sonoma Coast fruit.

That’s my recollection, Scott. Not sure though whether any Santa Cruz fruit was included in the 15.