Pet-Nat recs

Anyone have some Pet Nat recs (pétillant naturel in case Neal asks what the shorthand stands for) that like? Hopefully one that’s not too high in residual sugar. There’s a million natural wine stores in LA now so I think it won’t be too tough to source something.

Give a little detail on why the rec as well if you can :smiley:

Is Fu going to drive the pet nat market now?

A true test of my powers

I really like the Stolpman Pet’ Nat made from Trousseau. Light and crisp and shows nice pear/apple on the palate. Not sweet or cloying in any way.

Stolpman is good, as is scar of the sea chard, birichino malvasia bianca (I do some work for them), cruse valdigue. Those are pretty much CA standards of the young category off the top of my head. There are a lot out there, though.

+1 on the Stolpman, very enjoyable…was actually the first pet-nat I ever tasted and has never disappointed.

I also loved the Dirty & Rowdy but it was very limited and probably impossible to find.

robinot in the loire makes some interesting ones from chenin blended with pineau d’aunis. funky but clean and fresh. no mouse.

https://enofinewine.com/products/jean-pierre-robinot-lopera-des-vins-les-annees-folles-pineau-daunis-pet-nat-2017
they also have the straight chenin pet nat which is good but less interesting, but depending on tastes might be more preferable in the conventional sense.

Wikipedia re-directs “Pétillant-naturel” to “Sparkling wine production”.

So what is this stuff supposed to be, anyway?
pétillant-naturel_WIKIPEDIA.jpg

pet nat = methode ancestrale

ancestral-method_WIKIPEDIA.png
“The method generally produces wines that are highly aromatic with low alcohol content, sometimes as low as 6%. The wines are sometimes somewhat obscure from remaining lees. They taste best 1–3 years after bottling and do not develop with further storage. In general, the wines are slightly sweet but brut (dry) varieties are also produced. The method’s main weakness is that the production process is difficult to control and therefore requires great skill by the winemaker. The produced volumes are very modest. High-quality wines produced with the ancestral method, often by small growers using organic farming principles, can be complex and very distinctive. They are mainly used as aperitifs or dessert wine with fruit dishes.”

Les Capriades Les Capriades

What’s the ABV on the Stolpman?

Neither their website nor the bottle label nor cellartracker seem to list an ABV.

Jauma’s Chenin Blanc Pet Nat from Austrailia and Division Winery’s Gamine are two memorable pet nats for me (aside from much of Cruse’s).

You might want to also check out Jon Bonné’s recent recommendations: https://punchdrink.com/articles/insiders-guide-to-best-pet-nat-sparkling-wine/

I’ve liked the pinon for a long time now. More recently I was impressed by a Martin Texier.

There are a whole lot of pet nats that just taste like bad sparkling cider to me.

Pet-nat: how to turn sparkling wine into a cash flow category.

The ‘16 Stolpman Pet’ Nat was 11% ABV. http://www.stolpmanvineyards.com/trade/files/COMBE_Trousseau_PETNAT_2016_TechNotes.pdf

Ah, Pet Nat, the younger millenials orange wine alternative.

Assume the very existence of a thread here means it’s now jumped the shark (or whatever the bearded hipster expression is for ‘jumped the shark’).

Not in the case of Les Capriades. All that property produces is pet-nat, no other style of wine.

(added) Perhaps one could say this more about domestic wineries.

I’m 64 and I like pet-nat. And I pretty much dislike orange wine because it disguises any varietal character.

Why would varietal character be contained in the skins of red grapes but not in the skins of white grapes? Though I’ll agree if the skin contact is extended to months then it can lead to a point where varietal characters that we’re used to are obscured by the skin phenolics that we are not used to.

Back on topic, most that I would recommend have been mentioned already, though all the Cruse ones are great, not just the Valdigue. Just popped a St. Laurent last week and loved it, again. Or get nuts and check out the new Bloomer Creek Skin Contact Gewurztraminer pet nat. If you want to go a step further and try out a native/hybrid pet nat, definitely check out Nathan and Pascaline’s Chepika project.