2016 Kutch

Normally ratings are pretty non important to me but just noticed that WS is giving Kutch wines 82 points. That is very low and wondering if there is any concerns. Has anyone tasted the 16’s. Just curious and checking. I am still buying lol.

Which issue?

Oct 15

I haven’t bought in awhile, and was thinking of re-upping. Probably still will. Others gave good scores.

2016 McDougall Ranch Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
The PinotFile 98 Points
Jamie Goode 96 Points
Vinous, Antonio Galloni 94 Points
Vinography 9 - 9.5 Points

2016 Chardonnay Sonoma Coast
Jamie Goode 94 Points
Vinography 9.5 Points
Vinous, Antonio Galloni 93 Points
John Gilman 92+ Points

2016 Signal Ridge Mendocino Ridge Pinot Noir
Jamie Goode 94 Points
Vinous, Antonio Galloni 93 Points
John Gilman 93+ Points
The PinotFile 93 Points

One of these reviewers seems different than the other!

These are the scores & some notes from 2016 McDougall

The PinotFile - 98 Points & Winery of the year
Jamie Goode - 96 Points
Vinous Media - 96 Points
John Gilman - 93+ Points
Vinography – 9-9.5 Points
James Laube, WineSpectator - 82 Points

The PinotFile - Ridiculously good
Jamie Goode - Serious effort
Vinous Media - core of black cherry fruit in this layered, powerful wine
Vinography - smells of raspberry & dried flowers
John Gilman - destined to be stellar
Jancis Robinson - really lively red fruits & violets. Great balance
WineSpectator, James Laube - Loamy earth flavors that lack character

The PinotFile - Still great when tasted 4 days after opening
Jamie Goode - A serious effort & on the third day, really singing
Vinous Media - I would prefer to give the 2016 at least a few years in bottle
John Gilman (drinking window) 2022-2060
Jancis Robinson - there is quite a bit underneath
WineSpectator, James Laube, - "Drink now"

I wear these scores with honor as 98 points Laube Wine Spectator is undrinkable for my taste. I am glad that Laube has finally retired.

LOL. I know your wines are good and how WS can come in with 82 points sounds like a vendetta.

I thought the same.

Maybe 12% alcohol, 100% whole cluster and no new oak was just too much for Laube to understand.

I would proudly display the 82 score on your homepage. Here’s all my 82’s [cheers.gif]

• 2016 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/4/2018)
    I thought I tasted this at falltacular but I guess not. This chardonnay has quickly become a favorite with that crowd. Nose is robust sweet yellow fruit. The palate has a nice lemon curd and tangy acidic lemon juice favor. This is very well balanced, especially for not even being released yet.
  • 2016 Kutch Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (8/4/2018)
    Wow, this is off the hook. Jamie didn’t have a enough to offer the list members so he shipped it to Europe. WTF?!? This is amazingly good stuff. Flint nose hints at a Burg and a zesty lime flavor and medium acidity. If this is what Trout produces then he needs more fruit.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/4/2018)
    Ahh, warm Raspberry jam with a little spice from either whole cluster or a little barrel influence. It smells like it’s going to taste good. More raspberry on the palate but it’s not jammy but all the way through the finish. The mineral influence is salinity and it’s a cool contrast to the fruit.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Signal Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino Ridge (8/4/2018)
    I really like this one, I’m a fan of strawberry and there’s a shot on the nose and palate. Add in cranberry following the attack and you have a tasty wine. This comes from the highest vineyard in Medacino. The mouthfeel is gentle and comes across as feminine. Light white chalk note at finish. I like it.
  • 2016 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/17/2018)
    Perfectly balancedon my planet. I like the acid and not afraid of the yellow tree and tropical fruit. The nose comes across as European with a flint aroma.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/17/2018)
    This is very light bodied, not thin, just feminine. On the tart end of cranberry and chalk. Very nice sipping wine.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Sans Soufre - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/12/2017)
    Kutch 2015 Lineup (Maro Grill, Laguna Beach): I thought this was Gamay. Looks like it and taste like it. Others did as well. Nose is candied and it’s light bodies. Color is an interesting cloudy magenta, different than the other PN’s. Wine dances on the tongue, very distinct. Good mineral note and fine rounded tannic structure.

Posted from CellarTracker

Well that pretty much clears this up. Kutch wines are very good and Laube has no idea what is good.

not 82 for me either. Stupid wine scores.

• 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/29/2018)
    July 2018 Kutch Visit (Jamie’s Pad in SFO): Last tasted a year ago just before bottling and at that time, it was already in my view drinking nicely. Roll forward to the bottle yesterday, some of the stems are lifting still in the wine’s aromatic, giving it a nice signature. Purple fruit, which is my way of saying mix blue/red/black. Dark plum, blueberry and the same sexy purity that has a little jammy presence in the finish, akin to the Signal Ridge.
  • 2016 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/23/2017)
    Tasted from a tank sample, this is the final blend, which was just built and was being readied for bottling. Spicy watermelon, rose petal, juicy with plenty of acidity and crunch. Finishes with a strawberry note. Pure.

Now we’re posting notes just to be jerks. LOL

Wow. Who’s the jerk? No need for that comment!

Unfortunately when I was getting into wine I read CA pinot reviews from them and thought something was wrong with me… missed out on Kutch and many others in the meantime that would have been really good to start with!

Oh well

These must have really gone downhill since I tasted them a year ago :slight_smile:

2016 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/7/2017)
California Vacation (Sonoma, SF, Monterey); 8/5/2017-8/12/2017: Tasted at winery. Recently bottled. More black fruit here, though Jamie mentioned a watermelon rind note that was definitely present as well (power of suggestion!). Nice floral and crushed rock notes. Still a ton of acid but the fruit can hold up to it. Really outstanding. (95 pts.)

2016 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/7/2017)
California Vacation (Sonoma, SF, Monterey); 8/5/2017-8/12/2017: Tasted at winery. Holy deliciousness. Really nice lemon, nectarine, and yellow apple notes. Crushed stone and a little flintiness. Very fresh with bright acids, and yet, it’s not light – it toes that line in a great way. Jamie joked that maybe he should focus on Chards… and, as good as the Pinots are, this is spectacular and a ridiculous value. (93 pts.)

2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/7/2017)
California Vacation (Sonoma, SF, Monterey); 8/5/2017-8/12/2017: Tasted at winery. Recently bottled. For the first time in 2016, this is fully declassified SV fruit. This was really great. Soft tannin structure, nice red fruited notes and impeccable balance. Finish is outstanding. The SC bottling is always a great value, but the '16 is just phenomenal. (93 pts.)

2016 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (8/7/2017)
California Vacation (Sonoma, SF, Monterey); 8/5/2017-8/12/2017: Tasted at winery. Recently bottled. Sour red cherry, some spice. Sharp acids overpower pretty much everything else right now. This would likely be excellent with food and there is some pretty red fruit peeking out. (90 pts.)

There is a lot of praise for Kutch Chardonnay on this board. I don’t see any on the secondary market, so it seems to be another list to join. Are there any minimums and can you purchase just the Chardonnay?

Join the mailing list to get an allocation and if all you want is the chard you can buy just the chard.

Sounds like an excellent vintage, better than the one that got an 84 in 2009.

Too funny, AC.

But…I was being serious?

I wish all my Pinot’s tasted as good as Jamie’s 82 and 83 point Pinot’s.

Bye Laube … enjoy your retirement !!!