Santa Rosa restaurants

Any recommendations, especially if good wine list? Thanks.

An old friend, Liza Hinman, opened the Spinster Sisters several years ago. It’s developed into a Santa Rosa institution. Low key vibe, great food, wine list is more curated bistro with a strong local focus than WS award leather bound book, but I highly recommend the place. If you’re looking more for the latter experience, Single Thread Farm near Healdsburg is your jam.
Ian

Thanks. I’ll check out the Sisters.

John Ash & Co. has really solid food at a higher end price point (still not super expensive, but not cheap), decent wine list from what I can remember

I would go to Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa and bring it to Rosso Pizzeria in Santa Rosa. Corkage is super reasonable. I assume you are talking about Santa Rosa, CA. However Rosso has a decent wine list as well if you are not too picky, hey have lots of Turley wines.

I second J Galang’s recommendation for Rosso. I think their list is more than decent. I also think Zazu Kitchen and Farm is worth the 10 min drive from Santa rosa.

Walter Hansel Bistro remains one of our favorites. Food, atmosphere, winelist never disappoint. Single Thread Farm (Healdsburg) may be all the rage but I’m not willing to take out a mortgage on a meal. Spinster Sisters is great, vibe reminds me more of a diner with the wobbly tables and dinky chairs but the food is real good.

Willie’s Wine Bar. Great tapas in a casual setting. Willie’s Seafood was even a bit better IMHO.

• 1 for Sisters. Stayed above the restaurant last time we were there. Would not recommend that.

Uh… didn’t Willie’s burn down last year?

Russian River Brewing is always good. Wine isn’t the specialty but they do have it. Stark’s as I recall may have a pretty good wine list?

Also really like Ross.

JD

+1 on Walter Hansel’s. Still remember that seafood platter (or was it a double order) we shared with Brian Tuite, covered the whole table.

Last I heard, Willi’s Wine Bar may re-open in October.

Hmmm. I’d be careful on the food there. Last time I was there the Pliny was great and the food was terrible. That was a couple years ago, maybe it has improved.

Spinster Sisters and Rosso are both good.

Wili’s Wine Bar was scheduled to reopen October 9 per a May article in the Press Democrat.

Stark’s Steak & Seafood in downtown Santa Rosa is excellent. I can’t remember having a better steak in a restaurant, outside of Japan. The wine list is very good too.

Isn’t Starks part of the Willi’s wine bar group?

Yes I believe it is called the Starks restaurant group or something like that. I didn’t know about the fire. Too bad.

Rosso is great food but in a very, very casual atmosphere. Pizza, salad, some pastas…but if your lady is thinking of going out to “dine,” it probably won’t do it for her. Fabulous place for lunch or casual dinner, but not a “dining” destination, for me.

I live downtown Santa Rosa. If you’re looking for a restaurant with a “good” wine list, I’d head north to Healdsburg or south to Glen Ellen or Sonoma Square. However, we have some great restaurants with okay wine by the glass lists. Big fan of the food at Bird & the Bottle (small plates), Bruno’s, Rosso’s (pizza), Perch & Plow, Monti’s, Sea Thai Bistro. The problem with Santa Rosa is the town just doesn’t support high-end or very good wine lists…yet. Case in point, last year a restaurant called County Bench closed. A favorite of mine downtown that had a pretty good wine list. But the Somm (or wine director) at the time mentioned they had trouble moving bottles over $75. As Joel advised above, I would head to Bottle Barn, pick out a bottle or two and pay the corkage if you’re dead set on staying in SR.