I've got too much fine wine in my basement and not enought everyday wine

I’ve got too much fine wine in my basement and not enough everyday wine.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I’m enjoying buying everyday whites at my local store, but that’s not the way I thought I had planned things

I’ll quote Jim Morrison: “You never know when you’re giving your last performance.” Enjoy more of the good stuff.

Just opened a 89 Cos d’Estournel to go with leftovers.

Yeah, I’ve never thought this could be a problem. Whenever I have a bunch of good wine in the basement and not much else, I happily drink the good stuff more often. After all, it’s already paid for, and I have never thought “I wish this wine weren’t as good as it is.”

I WISH I had Eric Ifune’s cellar!!!

I said no because I don’t have a basement, and not that much ‘fine wine’ in most people’s terminology, but quite a bit in mine. I struggle mightily with deciding when to drink it when that’s the express purpose I spent the money on it. Frustrating.

I did, however, purchase a case of Ridge Carignane/Zinfandels today as ‘everyday’ wines, mere hours before this thread, so I guess I might have been thinking along the same lines.

Honestly, I would say we have too much everyday wine. The SO tastes stuff she likes and buys it for every day purposes. I have no idea what the hell it is so I avoid it (because I have opened something that I assumed was a drinker, was wrong and…you know) so it mostly sits around. We have wines I have no interest in, don’t know what they are and am a little scared about because for all I know some cute old man vigneron from France/Italy/Spain/wherever showed up at the shop and a case was purchased regardless of whether either of us would ever consume it. There’s a lot of it down there at this point. I would happily have some more Barbaresco (for instance).

Nope, just too much wine in the cellar. Have no problem drinking the good stuff for everyday drinking.

Brodie

I don’t distinguish much. I drink what I feel like drinking. I don’t even inventory my personal stash. Don’t keep track of what I paid for it. My EMH Library? Absolutely, although someone talked me into selling him a 2001 last week. And then he opened it and shared it with me.

FWIW there are many times where a good everyday wine is EXACTLY what I want, e.g. a Ch Lamartine Cahors or Cascina Saria Langhe Nebbiolo. Anything more powerful, more prestigious, more oaky, would be a less appealing choice for mood & food.

For me, you could have just said I have too much wine in my basement - fine and everyday.

What’s a basement?

So what’s the problem? Just keep drinking and enjoy.

Yes, exactly. I get all the “go ahead and drink the ‘good’ stuff” posts, but that’s really not at all what I want a lot of the time. This weekend, a friend said (in reference to a particular pizza) “that would have been great with an aged meursault.” I thought, sure - but I am pretty sure I preferred it with the jurancon sec I chose. You don’t always want Beethoven’s 9th - that is never background music. Fortunately, I have plenty of both.

For me it’s more a tossup between wine that requires contemplation, introspection & time invested vs. wine that’s easygoing, comfortable & readily immediate. Both can be found at the full spectrum of price points.

Sarah–awesome post!

(musician who hates Beethoven 9 but I love the analogy.

What we drink on a daily basis isn’t even close to the proportions in the cellar. Often times I really wish that the everyday wine we were drinking had a few years of age because Burgundy (or insert whatever) just doesn’t feel right to the meal. In this respect, I feel that my cellar is currently a little unbalanced: lot’s of wines that need an occasion (which can be the proverbial Tuesday) but I’m not in the mood to cook the right meal or give it the proper attention*. This is something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately in the current market when wines that we drink seldom are appreciating so rapidly and sometimes I look around and there isn’t a “simpler” wine that would suit the evening better.

\

• We have two young kids, and many times the energy just isn’t there.

Every day is fine. It deserves a wine to go with it.

And let’s be honest, we are not the supermarket wine crowd. Even our every day bottles are pretty fine.

Scott - I’m actually with you on that, but it fit the bill. :slight_smile:

Why does nearly everyone think of whites as “cheap”? [wow.gif]

Mooove North! [snort.gif]