Opinions/TN Request on several 2012 Andrew Will Wines

I can purchase the below Andrew Will wines of the 2012 vintage for ~ $40/btl. From what I have seen on the web, that is a pretty good price. The popular critics ratings are positive, and CT scores are solid for all except the Mays Discovery. If you’ve had any of these wines or if you have general opinions on Andrew Will, I’d appreciate any insight into the style and quality of the 2012’s. TIA!

2012 Andrew Will Cabernet Sauvignon Mays Discovery Vineyard
2012 Andrew Will Two Blondes Vineyard Red Blend
2012 Andrew Will Ciel Du Cheval Vineyard Red Blend Red Mountain
2012 Andrew Will Sorella Champoux Vineyard Red Blend

I haven’t had any 2012’s, but $40 for the Sorella is a bargain in any year.

If spending $40 on multiples is up your alley and you like Washington, I would purchase as much as you feel
Comfortable with…

Chris nailed this vintage, they’re ellegant but richly fruited with good weight and texture. $40 is about wholesale, the Sorella is pretty good.

I, at one time sold these wines and know the winery fairly well…

Washington cabs and red blends do not taste like Napa cabs and blends, that’s why they don’t cost as much. Make sure you love Washington reds before going deep!

Peter, Andrew Will wines do not taste like most WA reds either. They are very much Bordeaux style blends with a restrained use of oak (relatively). They age very well. Full disclosure, I am friends with Chris Camarda, as well as another friend who is a co-owner of Two Blondes Vineyard, and knew both Chris’ late wife Annie and know the other blonde that vineyard is named for. That said, the Sorella is a steal at that price, and the other wines are solid values. If you can buy one of each and open them all to try, and then go back to reload on your favorites, that’s what I would do.

Chuck, I bought lots of Andrew Will wines from the '01 vintage thru '07 and still have a bunch in my cellar. They do age well. and are very nice wines. However, IMHO, they just have a very different taste profile from Napa reds. I also have lots of Betz and Delille and find AW to be more similar to those wines than to Napa or Bordeaux.

I had a response all typed up and then was forced to an Amazon-like ad page and couldn’t get away from it to submit my message. It has been happening a lot lately and it is frustrating!

Long story short, thank you for your insights. I bought the 4 Sorella available and 1 Ciel du Cheval to try.

I plan to open a Sorella tomorrow night. Any decanting recommendations for the 2012?

Peter, I agree. If you’re considering buying these because you like Napa cabs and see them as a steal for good cab, plow through some Washington cabs first and see if you dig it. I enjoy Andrew Will wines, had them on a restaurant list I managed, and drank them on and off for a while. I’ll admit, though, that I rarely ever reach for a Washington Cab if Napa or Bordeaux is available.

I’d still probably shoot for a few Sorella. The price and quality for what it is is excellent.

2012 Andrew Will Sorella: Aerated and decanted for 3hrs. Paired pretty well with a filet and loaded baked potato. Nose is good red and black fruits. Some licorice and maybe tar? Maybe tobacco too…those three always blend together for me. Upon entry this is smooth and elegant in mouthfeel. More acidic than anticipated, but not overly acidic. I guess that it is “fresh”. Certainly kept me interested. Red fruits came to mind with plum. I was surprised to find a lot of cherry and red raspberry standing out. Tannins are stout on the end and create a nice lasting finish. this one can sit for awhile. I’ll let the next 3 sit for at least 3 yrs before checking back in. Easily worth $40 and made for a nice re-introduction to WA Bordeaux blends…its been a year or so. Enjoying my final glass now!