TN: 1999 Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 1999 Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/9/2018)
    Cellared since release…another crappy disintegrated aged Ca. cork…still quite youthful with tangy plum skin acidity, dusty oak barrel spiced tannins…sweet and sour liqueured berry fruits with aged plum leading the way. Really tart and sour at first…but air does a number…showing some classic leather and pencil lead, dried currants, anise. Warm plum pudding and dried tea leaves are intriguing…structure seems pretty strong still…but wonder if the sourness will over take the fruit? I’d say another 5yrs then peak…too bad my last bottle of KL in the cellar. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for another beautiful cellar picture distracting me from your TN, Buzz! neener

In all seriousness, the “sour” element you describe raises concerns about this wine’s chances of getting better with more age. I have not tasted a K Lawrence wine, so I don’t have experience with how they behave over time… :neutral_face:

Thanks for the note, Buzz. Karl Lawrence used to be my go-to Napa cab for many years! Always delivered a lot of enjoyment and at a reasonable price. Wish I still had some but they are long gone.

I’m still buying. Ric Henry has restarted the brand… still good stuff.

But you’re not really buying Karl Lawrence. It is the same name. But different vineyards and different wine maker.
Loved the original and thats why i went to Trujillo Same vineyards (for the most part) and winemaker as Karl Lawrence. Unfortunately, not the same price.

I regularly look for older KL at auctions, have gotten some good deals and loved the wines.

Found a few etched bottles of the Morisoli Reserve 1.5 Liters at auction. What a treat!

Right. But it’s very tasty.

I don’t believe that the 1999 vintage gets enough love. It’s my second or third favorite vintage from the 1990s behind 91 and maybe 94 but ahead of 95, 96, and 97

A '98 KL we had last year was sublime. Perfectly balanced and harmonious. Light but with waves of flavors and a lasting finish. A place that few Napa Cabs I have opened have achieved. Quite the surprise.