Ulises Valdez dead at 49

This one is a shocker to me. https://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/Beloved-California-Vintner-Ulises-Valdez-Dies

Per Wine Spectator online: Ulises Valdez is dead at age 49, of a heart attack.

This man was the embodiment of the American Dream. How very very sad!

Horrible news.

I was just looking at a 2013 PN that I was debating opening tonight. Looks like I will be doing just that. RIP.

Oh no!!

His life story is truly inspiring.

49 years old. Ugh! He managed the vineyards for so much of what I buy. Does anyone have a list? I know he’s the UV in the Aubert UV bottlings.

Wow. So sad to hear.

I recently just tried some Pinot Noir from his vineyard and it was the best (and I mean BEST) I have ever tasted.

RIP.

Maybe Will Segui. I know that UV managed some vineyards for Rivers-Marie.

This is just heartbreaking news indeed. There’s been a lot of loss in our winemaking community over the last few years, and many of these folks simply went too young. It’s a constant reminder to cherish every moment…

RIP UV.

Just came across my news feed. Holy crap!

bought his own/label wine a few years back. his daughter Elizabeth was just starting to run everything then, and going to school for winemaking, I believe. (She is the winemaker now and has been for a few vintages) Both him and his daughter were super great people. RIP to Ulises and best of luck to the family going forward without him.

This was not a phone call I was expecting or wanting this day or any day. TBH, I’m still processing the news. Much like Arista in the Wine Spectator article linked above, I saw Ulises Jr. & his brother this morning dropping off fruit (Chardonnay, Lucky Well Vineyard). No one would have faulted them in the least for taking to time to grieve - except for maybe their father, which is the only possible reason I can think they were on the beat just hours after his passing. A true testament to Ulises & his family.

I can’t pretend to know everyone that he farmed for but just for us/Thomas alone:

Rivers-Marie (Silver Eagle, Summa, Thieriot, Lucky Well)
Aston
Boars View

I also know he was a key manager for Aubert, Arista, Ferren, etc.

A great, outgoing man quick with a smile, a story and/or a joke (often all three) - he is and will be missed greatly by many.

Tomorrow is never promised to you. Very surprising. May have had a family history of heart disease. Sad to see success in life and then not get the benefit of watching your labor come to fruition. There will be many wines made in the future that will have his fingerprints on them. Condolences to his family. The best consolation is that he probably did what he loved in life. RIP

What shocking, sad news. As Drew noted above, his life story has been an inspiration to many. Only met him once but he struck me as a humble and really nice guy.

What sad news. My wife and I first met him and some of his family at his Cloverdale facility. About six months earlier, his Silver Eagle Chardonnay had been served at the White House. As he told us that story we could see that he was so proud of that accomplishment (and so he should). We got to talk with him in Healdsburg a couple of more times after that. He was always so outgoing, friendly and down to earth. He accomplished so much and he was so proud of his family. May he rest in peace and may his family find comfort.

Truly sad news.

Met him a few times at Rosenblum events. Very sorry to hear this news.

Wow, so sad and too young. Enjoyed his wines and many of the labels he farmed for. A real legend. RIP.

Holy shit. Seemed like a stand up guy who embodied the dream. Hope his family is OK. Too bad.

I think he managed the McDougal Vineyard that Kutch sources, and I’m sure lots more that haven’t been mentioned. What a shocker.