The Next MACDONALD?

Lots of talk and love recently on this board for MACDONALD, and with good reason- the wine and the story and the people are awesome.

It got me to thinking about what Napa estate will be the next cult success story? I would think there needs to be some combination of limited supply, an up and coming winemaker that as of now is flying under the radar of most wine enthusiasts, a grape source that is nearly impossible to procure, all with an endearing story that ties it all together.

While I am clearly not the smartest nor dumbest guy in the room, nothing immediately jumped out at me. Perhaps there are those out there who would care to throw out a suggestion to get the discussion going?

1 Like

Gotta throw out William & Mary

Full disclosure, Will is a good friend

1 Like

How old are the vines? Couldn’t tell from the web site.

Any project with Sam Kaplan

1 Like

I would be happy with that, we really enjoyed the 2014 and 2015 we have had and are looking froward to the 2016 and new proprietary red.

Looking forward to tasting with Will next week. Interested to see what it’s like

1 Like

Perhaps the next MACDONALD will be outside of Napa? Perhaps in Paso? Or the Sierra Foothills? Perhaps the Santa Cruz Mountains?

And nothing against Will whatsoever - very cool dude whom I’ve known for a long time. And I had a chance to try his wine at Falltacular earlier this year - fine juice indeed . . .

Cheers.

1 Like

Read the OP. Specifically asks about NAPA.

Ooops - nevermind . . .

Carry on, all :slight_smile:

Noticed this is Shifflett, is he still doing anything under his own label?

Macdonald will be hard to beat…

So much going for it between the supply (or lack there of), the site (oldest/most storied vines in Napa), and talent (world class in every way). Hard to find that type of magical combo and would imagine they hold court for some time especially because the wine is also so darn good.

Sam is doing great things, especially with Memento Mori. But he is already established, and MM is already well followed out there…

Not familiar with W&M so I will check that out. I have two slots open for my next trip up there in 3 weeks so hopefully I can stop in…

2 Likes

Whatever it is, I just hope its fans don’t feel compelled to write the name in all caps. Maybe follow e.e. cummings or bell hooks for inspiration.

1 Like

Hard to compare because Macdonald have thier own estate vineyard. However In terms of new labels from talented guys with good fruit sources there are 2 names -

Kinsman (sleeping lady fruit). Nigel is formerly of Araujo (now eisele) among others and consults for 5 or so clients. This is his own. Not sure if they released yet.

La Pelle - Maayan is rt hand to Melka and this is his own project. Just released first vintage last week.

1 Like

Appreciate the tip, Dustin and Tex

My mind runs a little like Larry’s - I think the next 5+ year wait list is going to be something that scratches the northern Rhône itch in that low alcohol, highly aromatic, lean, acid driven way - maybe a Pax, Arnot Roberts or Jolie Laide.

To stay on topic, I’ll throw out Dan Petroski’s new label, Ashes and Diamonds as one to follow

Dan is no longer doing A&D wines. Although am a huge fan of any wines Dan is involved in.

1 Like

You are so evil.

Joined Kinsman and bought some La Pelle to try.

[thankyou.gif]

This place is both awesome and terrible! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Tynan Meleagris from the unique, old vine and small production perspective.

Wow that was quick. I spoke with Dan not even a month ago but you’re right, the website now shows Steve Matthiason (which might not make me change my answer :slight_smile:

most of those mentioned aren’t really a project analogous to macdonald- winemaker owns the estate.

1 Like