TN: 2016 Domaine des Bosquets Gigondas La Colline

2016 Domaine des Bosquets Gigondas La Colline - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas (9/27/2018)
Tasted at the winery. Incredible structure and complexity. From a small, high, blue limestone soiled vineyard not far from the doorsteps of the winery. A step up from any other Grenache based Gigondas we had on this trip. 2016 is “the” vintage according to locals. Buy this wine, if you can find it and tuck it away for a few years. (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I visited the Domaine earlier this year and was similarly impressed by their range, especially the Gigondas single vineyard bottlings. The white “Cheval Long”, from Sablet, was also wonderful as was their beautifully pale Rosé, which has become a summer staple chez moi.

The domaine is well worth a visit. It’s about half a mile from the main square and we’ll signposted.

I actually prefer their single vineyard “Le Lieu Dit”, which comes off a patch of sand

I tried that one as well. Would have been our wine of the day, if we didn’t try the La Colline.

Both are excellent.

Thanks for the note, I don’t think I’ve tried any of their single vineyards.

Are those for sale only at the domaine?

K&L has some. I just placed an order there.

Broke one of these out last night to go with some backyard brisket (not really intentionally, grabbed a bottle quickly without registering the price/reputation!)… quick thoughts… tremendously smooth+ripe and well integrated, but way more of a jam bomb than is my preference. Will revisit tonight with its pedigree in mind : )

I only have one more of these left so I will keep it tucked away for awhile longer.
I remember tasting at the Domaine and this bottle stood out with its uniqueness, but that was also almost 2 years ago.

The Cayron ‘16 Gigondas is also outstanding.

It’s a somewhat different wine (50% Syrah grown at some altitude), but the Clos Bellane Cote du Rhône Valreas is really super, too, though it’s shutting down a little now. It has the concentration of a good Gigondas, but with a bit more structure—somewhat harder tannins and really good acidity.

OK, night two, somewhat more proper notes… deep purple-ruby color, nose of cassis at first, then distinct blueberry, lavender, a touch of graphite, star anise. Before even sipping you can feel there is some power here - not overt “heat” but just the depth of the aromas. Hits the tongue and POW - intense fruit! Mouth-coating cassis again, layers of berries, more graphite, black pepper, almost puerh-ish black tea, yet tannins that veer to “green” though not really stemmy. Long tart blueberry smoothie finish with a light alcohol burn through the end and a tannin pinch on the inner cheeks : )

Powerful wine with a smooth elegance and juicy vivacity - more flamboyant than what I typically seek out. Caveat - I have very limited experience with Gigondas, much more familiar with CdP.

Just popped one tonight, John. I so agree, outstanding in quality, and at a killer price, only about $30-$32. Quite a classic with very refreshing fruit and broad herbal presence. Juicy acids and some sneaky tannins. Load up.