TNs--Mike on Mini-Tour---the "50th party" day, Atlanta---visit with Anthony at PH Wines and 1968 at Randy & Cris'

I think it was 2 years ago that good friends Randy and Cris Katz and I put our heads together to think about an event, knowing that both Randy and I would be turning 50 this month (and that Cris would turn 50 earlier in the year). The result was a marvelous 2 days (+ next morning) in Atlanta highlighted by an afternoon birth year wine tasting at their house. But first…

I try not to miss a visit with Anthony now when I’m in Atlanta—he’s got a great shop, a great palate and is an easy guy to like and talk to. He opened a 2015 (I think) Chateau de Vaudieu for me which, despite my Grenache aversion, I found to be not bad, with a counterbalancing spiciness to the usual (for me) strawberry-and-herbs profile and it’s in no way jammy or OTT. Perhaps it’s because the vineyards are next to Rayas :slight_smile:

Ahh, but then he opened a 2015 Meo Camuzet Corton Charlemagne . Sniffadeedoodah aromatics which are part pear, part ginger, part almond extract and mostly mystery. A sensational delight dans la bouche, so sleek yet subtle power here too, with requisite freshness and already very sublimely expressive. All you can want in a white burg and in the WOTY discussion for me. Pure magic.

THE BIRTH YEAR WINES

There were about 10 of us assembled and Randy drew generously from his cellar (we all pitched in something of our own as well, I believe).

1968 Produttori de Carema Vino Carema Nebbiolo

For aromatics, I get dried rose petals and shoe leather. On the tongue, still plenty of acid, the fruit is almost all gone now, though, and talks of grapefruit.

1968 Cappellano Troglia Barolo

Soy and sour cherry and chestnut perhaps? Calls are for slightly corked and this is confirmed by 3 of the tasters. Still, only very slight, more body to this than the Carema and still has a measure of small enjoyment to be had.

1968 Ceretto Montefico Barbaresco

Unfortunately also corked

1968 Bersano Barolo Monferrat

Soy characteristics show up in the nuzzie, along with light dusty quality. It’s adequate, with acid and carry to somewhat tired-tasting red fruit, but nothing memorable.

1968 Giacomo Borgogno & Figli Barolo

In the bouquet, I find forthright florals, bits of walnut and still plenty of bright cherry. Still lots of life here—has lost the heavyweight crown but touches on the old-stuff magic with a certain ephemeral texture and good mature red berry fruit. I think this was everyone’s consensus #2

1968 Filli Serio & Battista Borgogno Barolo

A super-rare opportunity to try two branches of this noble family. Very light baking spices around currant fruit. In the mouth, it’s sound and seems correct as an older wine, but not anywhere near the panache of the Giacomo

1968 Marchesi di Barolo Barolo

The last great older Barolo I’ve had was, I think a Marchesi. Certainly this one fits into that category. Lovely, lovely wine full of flowers and red berry fruit wafting up the glass. Same on the palate—balanced and vibrant all at the same time with strawberry, nips of spice and a lovely lithe but measured feel. Excellent example and everyone’s consensus #1

1968 Buonocompagni Ludovisi Fiorano

From the Roma district, this was a generous give by my friend Richard Leland as a tribute bottle in our fantasy baseball league, as he knew this was coming up. While there’s some initial VA which works with potpourri and lingonberry, that lasts for a minute. And then…dommage! Corked. First on the palate and then it reaches the aromatics. Boo.

1968 Beaulieu Vineyards Burgundy

Mike Evans brought this super-rarity, out of Gamay and Mondeuse fruit on the estate. Almost tang (the drink) in red fruit form in the nose. Serviceable dans la bouche, holding on with lightly sweet cranberries. It does lose energy quickly.

1968 Faustino I Rioja

Cocoa, plenty of leather and shoe polish scents. Plenty of alive and drive to taste, some follow-through on the aromatics. Still a somewhat younger-drinking wine. My #3 and some had this as their #2

1968 Sebastiani Cab

Some cocoa and some VA in the bouquet here too. Some almost-stewed fruit as we. Pretty if shallow, the red fruit is still plentiful. I can’t remember if people said this perked up a bit a couple hours later.

1968 Robert Mondavi Napa Cab

Plenty of Napa sniffs, touches of sweet tobacco, and dark chocolate and blackberry. A li’l disjointed when it hits the tongue, but it straightens itself out as a whole and is quite alive, more so than I would have thought. Plum and currant fruit take their place.

1968 D’Oliveiras Boal Madeira

We all knew it was too soon for this and so it proves. Extremely treacle and dates aroma. Knocks you back with how kinetic it still is to taste. Lemon and apple and caramel mix together for now but needs years and years to smooth itself out.

1968 Krohn Colheita Port

Smells of dark chocolate and coffee cake with sourdough bread. Smooth and rich and really lovely . Has the port bite, but quite pure pralines and caramel. My #4 and it was pretty close to the Rioja for me.

This was SOOO much fun to do, and was only the beginning. Separate thread will be up for the incredible evening we had with friends.

Yes Marchesi di Barolo a different proposition back then (likewise Fontanafredda), holding a strong position as a leading buyer of grapes. Still rather variable, but at best very good indeed. The market changed and IMO they got left behind decades ago as more growers started making their own wine. Probably the most ‘touristy’ of any winery we’ve visited in Piemonte and this only reinforced the impression they were trading on the (historic) name. I’d be overjoyed if they lifted their game.

The Krohn was fantastic! I had some of that. Sounds like a nice 68 tour.

I’m grateful that the old folks allowed me to participate in the 1968 tasting. Getting to try that many 50 year old wines is a rare treat, and the company was fantastic. My favorite of the 1968 dry wines was the Mondavi, which showed much younger than I expected, followed by the Marchesi di Barolo and the Faustino which I enjoyed equally but in very different ways. The Giacomo Borgogno was the other Italian that I really enjoyed. The Sebastiani (the label proclaimed “Sturdy and Deep-Flavored”) showed overripeness after 50 years, which is no mean feat. The BV Burgundy was a very pleasant surprise. Who would have thought that a 50 year old California Gamay/Mondeuse blend could still be pleasant after 50 years?

The 1968 D’Oliveiras Boal Madeira and 1968 Krohn Colheita Port were a fascinating side-by-side pairing and really stole the show among the 1968s. The Madeira didn’t suffer from being much less sweet than the Port (and was fantastic with bacon-wrapped dates), but rather provided a refreshing contrast to the sweetness of the Port. I think there were enough similar aromas and flavors that they complemented each other, while enough contrasting elements to allow each to shine in its own way.

1968 Wines.jpg
Here is a picture of the '68 lineup that night (missing the D’oliveras)

Howdy - Fellow 1968 birthday boy. There’s a '68 Marchesi on Winbid right now. Do you think it’s still good?

Well—always nice to have another '68-er in the fold! My dim recollection is that it wasn’t anywhere close to fading. Grab it and–hopefully–enjoy

Thanks for the impressive TNs of an exotic lineup, Mike!

Patrick, I was sufficiently impressed with the 1968 Marchesi at this tasting that I bought 2 from Winebid a couple of months ago, though the price has dropped $10 since then.

Nice memories. Thanks Mike and Happy New Year.