TNs: Two Mercurey from Francois Raquilet

Raquillet is a new domaine to me.
William Kelley had some nice things to say so I took a shot when I found some at a decent price.

• 2013 François Raquillet Mercurey Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Mercurey (10/15/2018)
    This wine does what I want at this price point. It shows some pedigree, it’s serious Chardonnay. It is rather full, shows clean fruit and some tension. Like the pinot, it is leans rounder, I’d like more acidity, ideally, but there is a cool minerality that keeps things interesting. Good for drinking now. [/i]
  • 2013 François Raquillet Mercurey 1er Cru Les Vasées - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Mercurey 1er Cru (10/14/2018)
    Nice, primary Pinot nose. Bit herbal, floral. Lacks complexity, but very tasty in a somewhat polished way. I could see non-geeks drinking this with pleasure. Fruit is lively, in the forefront and leans glossy, lacks an acidic spine. Though not overdone. Good, pleasurable drinking for now.

Posted from CellarTracker

Glad you liked them. 2015s and 2016s are a step up again. François is getting very serious, definitely one of the top sources of Mercurey red today (and the whites are very tasty as you note).

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up!

And another…

• 2013 François Raquillet Mercurey Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Mercurey (1/18/2019)
    Showing some early secondary pinot scents, spice and earth, almost an herbal-briar quality I associate with stems. Appealing. Rather forward, with open, supple fruit that glides along the palate. Lively. Raquillet does good stuff in Mercurey at a terrific price point. Good pinot.

Posted from CellarTracker