TN: 2016 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard

2016 Bedrock Wine Co. Zinfandel Monte Rosso Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (10/23/2018)
It’s probably a bit of imagination, and a bit of reality mixed together, but if you had served this blind, I might well have thought it was a Ravenswood Monte Rosso zinfandel. There was a direct line from Joel Peterson’s Monte Rosso Zin to Morgan Twain-Peterson’s edition. That lifted red fruit, the mix of licorice and spice, with a touch of citrus peel adding further zest (!) to the finish, all remidned me of what I used to love so much when there was still the Ravenswood version of the wine. Medium bodied, racy on the palate, and with a long raspberry/orange finish, it took me back more than 20 years to when I first started drinking Monte Rosso Zinfandel. It was awesome to jump in the time machine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note David, those Ravenswood Zins made by Joel are awesome and aging really well. We were lucky a couple of years ago at a Bedrock dinner that Joel attended and poured a 1987 Ravenswood Monte Rosso alongside a current vintage Bedrock. It was quite a treat tasting and listening to Joel (and Morgan) talk about the wines.

Tom

Beautiful note, thx for posting.

+1

It’s a beautiful wine! And yes; it will age effortlessly.

I haven’t tried this vintage but when I first tried the 2012 I mentally made the same connection that you did to the Ravenswood Monte Rosso of days gone by.

I just had a great experience with the 2014 vintage of this wine two days ago with my Tuesday wine group. Everyone loved it and it had both great fruit and balance. Just delicious. Drinking very well but could easily go the distance. As I like this vineyard a lot, and there will be no more Bedrock since the vineyard was sold I just grabbed the last 2 bottles of the 14 on the East coast for significantly less than the 16. David, sorry my notes aren’t as detailed as yours, was busy eating and socializing.

As Michael Martin mentioned in the Bedrock thread, Morgan actually is making a Monte Rosso zin again as they were able to get their hands on some fruit this year.

Not sure if that will happen again or not moving forward…

Oops my bad ! Thanks Rich for clearing that up. I knew Gallo had bought the vineyard and I thought Bedrock had said they would get no more fruit. Maybe that changed or maybe I read it wrong. Either way glad to hear it, and I think I will max out my allocation next time.

The vineyard is still listed in the Bedrock site. Here’s hoping!

Yeah man, that was the news at first and everyone was pretty bummed…then they were able to secure fruit this year somewhat last minute I think.

Heres to hoping they keep getting it!

Fingers crossed ! The vineyard seems to produce glorious wine whenever I sample it. I was very impressed years ago with the Rancho Zabaco Monte Rosso and more recently I had some Oberschulte Monte Rosso Syrah that was excellent.

fwiw worth there is currently a ton of older ravenswood for sale on the acker online that ends this sunday. i know blah blah blah rudy etc but the wines are there and plentiful and seemingly cheap so have at it. i know i’m going to [cheers.gif]