Vintage Wine Estates Acquires Qupé

Wow.

it should come as no surprise but they have been sold, based upon based upon the challenges at their former company has experienced over the last number of years. It will be interesting to see where the focus goes with the new owners. Will they attempt to grow the lower end or go after higher-end consumers?

I also wonder what will become of verdad, Bob’s wife’s label. They have been sharing a Tasting Room and I wonder if that will continue.

I just wish the best for Bob and his staff moving forward.

This.

+1

Yep. When Terroir bought it, they changed the labels and pushed a not-too-good lower end wine but the Central Coast Syrah remained one of the best values in the mass market, as it had been for years. Who knows what happens now. As I recall, Bob Lindquist had sold most of his stake anyway, right? And there’s some gossip I heard that is likely to be BS but I’m wishing him the best. He’s made some stellar wine over the years.

Based on the article, Vintage "

has been on an acquisition spree over the past several years, adding Washington’s Tamarack Cellars, Oregon’s Firesteed Vineyards, and California’s Layer Cake, Cherry Pie, If You See Kay, Cameron Hughes, B.R. Cohn, Swanson Vineyards, and Delectus to its portfolio."

Tamarack was a smaller version of Qupe in WA, making pretty decent value wine for reasonable prices. The rest were never too impressive and I hope that Qupe doesn’t end up as another label producing generic and indifferent wine.

The latest info I heard was that Bob was not aware of the sale prior to it occurring - he was only a minority owner and therefore didn’t really have a say in the matter. There are rumors that production will be moved out of the ABC/Qupe facility next to Bien Nacido Vineyard and into San Luis Obispo, where other Vintage wines are made.

My guess is that they will push hard on the Central Coast Syrah line and try to make more ‘value’ wines like this. I’m hopeful but not too much so that Bob’s higher end wines will remain intact - it’s too early to know.

Cheers.