Off-site Storage Reference: Kent Certified Wine Cellar (Chicago)

I was wondering if anyone stores wine at Kent Certified Wine Cellar in Chicago (Lakeview neighborhood) and, if so, would be willing to speak to their experience with them. I am quickly exceeding my storage capacity and they are by far the most convenient storage location to me, being only a block or so away from my house, but there is limited information about them online and the website appears to not have been updated in a long time.

Thanks in advance - Appreciate any insight anyone may have.

Check the Better Business Bureau.

I actually disagree with this – I don’t think the BBB is good resource. I suggest asking on places like the Chicago Wine Collectors Facebook Group and here (obv.). Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone who stores wine there.

Agreed, BBB is a source of bad experiences, but not assurance of good.

I have no experience with Ken Certified Wine Cellar, but if you are interested in an alternative storage provider, I have nothing but good things to say about Domaine Storage. Having just moved to Chicago, my experience with them is limited, but the limited interaction has been excellent. Sara, the rep I worked with, was incredibly responsive during the initiation process. Toured the facility, and liked what I saw of the storage area. They also are helping me move my collection from Vinfolio in Napa (technically American Canyon), and even gave me a bit of a bulk discount to move it all across the country.

What’s nice is they have the Napa and New York warehouses, and can funnel shipments from out of state retailers through there to avoid the shipping restrictions.

As someone who is new to Chicago, and looking for perhaps a tasting group (if even such things exist? perhaps I watched too much Frasier!) or wine club, I appreciate you mentioning the Facebook group as a Chicagoland wine resource. To the OP, apologies for the minor thread hijack.

Thanks everyone - BBB has nothing which is part of the reason I tried to see if anyone here had any experience. Sounds like there isn’t a lot of info which is what I suspected.

Walk the one block to visit them and check them out for yourself. They have been around for a long time. If they look good, you can’t beat the convenience.

Crossing the wrong gang turf in Chicago can be deadly. :skull: Having grown up in its Uptown ghetto, I would not do so.

I moved my wine to Kent 4-5 years ago when Domaine tried to double my annual storage fees virtually without notice. I’ve since moved to NY and go back to Kent when in Chicago for work to grab a few bottles to take back with me.

I like Kent, and your wine will be fine there, but it’s bare bones and has limited hours. No tasting lounge or room. It’s basically a big refrigerator. If you merely want to store wine somewhere and their schedule works for you, I have no reason to think you’d be unhappy with them.

Thanks Greg! Appreciate the insight.

Or don’t. BBB is fundamentally a scam given it allows (and sometimes requires) payment for a high rating. It has no credibility.

Apologies for the off-topic but any remotely positive mention of BBB irks me - and that’s not aimed at you Victor, but at what BBB have done.