TN: 1994 Spottswoode Estate Cab Sauv

Decanted and served. A little bit closed when first opened. Color transformed from ruby when first poured out of bottle to dark red/purple after a few minutes in the decanter. Or at least it seemed to.

On the nose, very complex with dark fruits, soy, leather, cassis and a slight, but pleasing, funk. Also a late note of vanilla, probably more vanilla than I’ve experienced in any other Spotts. On the palate, very suave mouthfeel with just enough acidity to keep the wine refreshing. Palate generally consistent with nose, but the vanilla and cassis stepped forward in the mix without dominating it. Really a luscious and balanced bottle of wine. Luckily more in the cellar.

Love me some aged Spottswoode. Unfortunately, I have only had back to '95…would love a '94.

Great note.
Thanks for posting this Steve.

The 93 was also great and when I had an 86 about a year and a half ago it was other-worldly.

Spottswoode is probably one of, if not the, most consistent cabernet producer in California. I have been buying and cellaring their wines since the inaugural vintage of 1982. They do an outstanding job, even in so-called “off vintages.” We opened a bottle of 2000 last night and it showed very well with no sign of fading or decline. It seems that the most recent vintages such as 2004 and 2005 are going from strength to strength and will be spectacular with some age.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Hmmm,

We have an 88, 89, 91 and 92. Maybe I can con Carrie into opening one Saturday. [cheers.gif]