What is your worst wine of the year? Well, mine's blue!

Difficult to do worse than this: Alma Azul Blue Soul Chardonnay, from Almeria in Spain.

Yes, it really is blue!

I gave a glass of this last night to my wife. At first, she just looked stunned.
“What is that supposed to be? Are you trying to poison me? I’m not drinking that! You try it”

I did.

It was awful, truly repulsive, a mixture of almonds (so rather like cyanide), hazelnut and a rather sickly sweet lemony liquid. Apparently the blue colour is “a tribute to Mediterranean lifestyle, celebrating the present and honouring tradition.” I hate to think how they make it blue. So why did I buy it? Well, I thought the bottle was blue, not the wine itself and I was in a hurry.

It’s a contender for the all-time worst wine ever, up there (or down there) with Banrock Station Sparkling Shiraz.
azul.JPG

Elouan and Angeline PN.

Thanks for taking one for the team/community saving others from this vinous abuse.

Interesting that someone would want their wine to look like Windex.

Richard - as you can see, I have no shame. How can a WB actually pay for a blue wine? It was even worse than Blue Nun. The Sparkling Shiraz was at least a present.

David - True - when the Austrians put anti-freeze in their wines (you can never be too careful in a cold climate) at least they made sure the colour wasn’t the same.

Glenn - PN = Pretty Nasty?

[cheers.gif]

Pinot Nowhere

I once had a cabernet/chocolate blend that looked like Yoohoo. I do not remember the producer. And then there was the infamous Blueberry Bliss that we opened at BF 2.5.

My daughter was with us on vacation and met with a friend from her U of Oregon college days. They picked a wine from an extremely limited selection of Oregon Pinot Noirs. Unfortunately, they chose the Elouan. Neither could drink it. It was poured out, and they had a beer instead.
They saved a bit for me to try. It was repulsive, sweet, suffering from both VA and brett.

Erath Pinot from Costco. $11 ish a bottle. Not only bad this year, one of the worst wines I have had ever. Thin, red colored rubbing alcohol.

1964 Fratelli Berteletti Gattinara

Ex-Chambers St. On opening, it was actually interesting for 1 minute 30 seconds. [reported post edited - politics]

Fulkerson Winery

Tequila Barrel Aged Riesling 2017 [scratch.gif]

Nice winemaker and produces some excellent wines that I would gladly drink but this was a little too much.

also

Equipo Navazos Colet Navazos Reserva Extra Brut 2009
Its a partnership with jerez and penedes, they use sherry for dosage. It got pretty good reviews and reception at a tasting I was recently at BUT not for me.

I did this too, but for gin. I’d heard of Empress gin and it had a beautiful blue glass bottle. Actually, it had a clear glass bottle and indigo colored gin inside. Luckily, the color was from a botanical and the gin is actually excellent and worth buying: Empress 1908 Gin. Great with tonic and a lime slice. A much better drink than the wine you bought.

Worst wine I’ve had all year was undoubtedly Barefoot Sparkling Wine, which was left at my house as a gift to my wife who loves sparkling wine. We tried it and promptly poured it out. It is gross.

+1

Eeeeeh!! [barf1.gif]

1989 Chateau Cantemerle. Well past prime.

that’s pretty clearly a cooked/badly stored bottle, '89 Cantemerle is a great value wine

I’m going out on a limb here, but it may be my worst this year… I suppose this means I’ve been drinking extremely well on the whole, but D&R Unfamiliar 2017 has a bouquet of hard boiled eggs, merde, and your senile grandmother’s perfumed musk.

Behind its hideous aroma lies a beautifully fruited, pleasant little wine, but the funk really doesn’t fade for an hour plus. I’m hoping the other Mourvèdres I bought are less sulfuric.

You sure that isn’t Romulan Ale?

2013 Trader Joe’s Platinum Reserve Meritage Yountville

It smelled of burned bacon fat, cocoa powder and sweet ceder with no fruit. Tasted mostly of landscaping mulch fresh from the chipper with a little bit of milk chocolate and dried fruit maybe plum, hard to tell, very faint. Incredibly over oaked, over ripe, over extracted and sweet. A really unpleasant wine and a waist of money even at $15.