Which Bordeaux to open?

Yes, I do have some. Tomorrow I am hosting a birthday dinner party for a friend who actually prefers Bordeaux to Burgundy - and yet I still speak to her. Anyway, I am preparing rack of lamb and here is what I have standing up. Not sure we will drink 2 or 3 bottles with this course. So my goal is to select the most interesting pairing and then have a third (or even a Burg) that can be opened separately and still enjoyed.

So of these bottles which two present the most interesting pairing? And although i am listing by domaine we don’t have to drink them that way (e.g., perhaps two from same vintage?)

82 and 86 Gruaud
86 and 90 Rauzan Segla
86 and 89Pichon Lalande
86 and 88 Pape Clement
89 LLC
89 VCC

TIA

Hi Maureen,

I opened my last '82 Gruaud last month; it was an extraordinarily good bottle, drinking wonderfully right now (at least mine was) --so I’d put in my two cents for that.

I’d second that as well, as I just had it last weekend. Drinking beautifully. Of course, I love PLL so if you were to open these for me, I’d probably want to try that.

I think if given the choice, I would choose to either go for 2 wines from the same vintage or the same wine across 2 vintages as I like context, and I’d probably also lean towards the PLL and the GL as my preferred options.

If you are choosing one Pichon, I would say the '89 over the '86. I had them both earlier this year, and the '89 was the clear winner to me and the others in the group. Given those choices, I would choose this with another '89 for comparison. Have fun and enjoy the dinner!

Ed

Not the LLC; they age at a glaaaaaacial pace.

I would start with the premise that Pauillac is classic with Lamb and go on from there. Probably the 89. Then it’s how different should the other wine be? And how is the lamb going to be prepared? If simply roasted and little garlic VCC might be interesting especially as P-L is generally a little higher in Merlot then most Paulliac.

I’d do vcc and 82 gl for the contrast.

Lots of lovely choices! I’d do 82 & 86 Gruaud. 2nd choice is 86 & 88 Papa Clem. Save the PLL until it’s properly aged. :wink:

Except for the Pape Clements, I’ve had all of these wines, several of them several times. Hand’s down, if I had the option, I’d go with the 82 and 86 GL. Classic Cordiers, best of class.

Hard to argue with the 82 and 86 Gruaud. That said, I had the 86 PLL recently and it was epically good.

I love these PLL vintages so would be hard for me to turn down a dinner with the ‘86 & ‘89. Both are in a beautiful place now. Still might be more fun, perhaps more of a an experience of the mind, to compare the ‘89 PLL and LLC. Can’t really go wrong.

Have always enjoyed the 86 Rauzan Segla, and its been drinking well for many years.( should be drunk sooner anyway) and the 89 PLL is delicious( for a bordeaux )

Embarrassment of riches here and hard to go wrong with any.

While the GLs would be in my top 3 in this list, I’d lean to drink the 89 PLL and 86 Rauzan.

Well, lots of good options with lots of good reasons. Not sure what to do. To answer Richard’s question, yes, rack of Colorado lamb coated with parsley, thyme, rosemary garlic rub.

Other than the ‘88 pape clement I have owned all of these wines since release. Bought (and have drunk most of) a case of that 82 Gruaud ($120, delivered, from Pop’s - sigh). Loved the 86s when they first came out - really loved the RS and haven’t had it for years. Just can’t decide what I want to serve!

1st choice: 82 and 86 Gruaud
2nd choice: 89 Pichon Lalande and VCC

The 82 and 86 GL are both great wines, but very similar…in my opinion, the house style (Cordier) trumps the vintage in the case of these 2 great wines. That said I’d open and enjoy them!

My 1st choice would be GL 82 - it´s such a beautiful bottle (when on).
Since you asked for the “most interesting pairing” I´d say Vieux Chateau Certan 1989,
(left and right bank, both fully mature)
1st the VCC, then the GL - or side by side.

(… and nothing against PL 89 or RS 90)

Over the last year, I had most of these wines (the 82 and 86 Gruaud, the 86 and 90 Rausan Segla, the 86 and 89 PLL, and the 86 and 88 Pape Clement… been a good year!).

All were excellent to outstanding. Here are my scores:
82 Gruaud - 96 pts
85 Gruaud - 94 pts
86 Rausan Segla - 94 pts
90 Rausan Segla - 92 pts
86 PLL - 95-96 pts
89 PLL - 94 pts
86 Pape - 93-94 pts
88 Pape - 91 pts

I would do the two Gruaud Larose.