Drinking Rudi's treasures in NYC

Dear Board,

I got over enthusiastic when the cellar II auction occurred and bought some “nice” bottles. So far more have been genuine than not with one painful exclusion ( 90 La Tache). Australia’s tax laws mean that I keep the balance in NYC. Where can I pay a corkage and have some appropriate food to try some of these wines ? Anyone keen to participate in a “Monday table comes to NY” dinner ? We will be in NYC Jan 7 - 13, 2019.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I am interested. I just need to figure out my schedule. What type of food/cuisines are you interested in doing?

OK. Thank you.

Peking Duck House, in midtown.

IMO, restaurants like Peking Duck House are not the proper venue for wines like 90 La Tache and other wines which were purchased at the Cellar II even if not all of them are authentic.

It is for Victor. Free wine, no corkage, cheap food that he can doggy bag. What else could he want?

Chinese wine and Chinese food go together.

Victor,

As someone who thinks you receive more flack on this board than you should, I really think it’s time you moved on from your seven or so years of recycled Rudy/Kapon “jokes”.

Really depends on whether you want a high end restaurant with high end corkage, good food with low corkage and no real ambience, something casual. Also whether you’re looking at Monday night or Friday night (with the former obviously being easier).

For example Wallflower is a very pleasant West Village restaurant with free corkage on Mondays. You won’t leave thinking “Wow, that was one of the best meals I ever had” but the food is good and the ambience is cozy and pleasant.

Bite of Hong Kong has free corkage and top notch Cantonese food.

North Square has $25 corkage and an excellent rack of lamb that is a great red wine match for Bordeaux, Rioja, etc.

A lot of higher end restaurants have a bottle limit but you can try negotiating with them.

I’d be tentatively interested/amused to join you. Some of those old Patriarche wines are really good. I can even bring one to compare :wink:

this thread could be useful:

Adding to what Jay said. Mondays are corkage free at Racines. Tuesdays at The Milling Room.

Jay is not as big a fan as some of us of Wu’s Wonton King, another good Chinese restaurant with no corkage.

There is also Aba Turkish, very solid food, cheap, and corkage free.

This could be fun. Let me know know the details if you want to plan an offline (maybe move to OL board) although Jan 7 is probably out for me.

Once we get some ideas of cuisine, atmosphere, etc it would make choosing a location much easier.

Check out Vaucluse. Appropriate food and setting. They are reasonable about the corkage, and I have often times had it reduced by supplementing the evening by buying a bottle or two off the list.

The Musket Room has a Michelin Star and no corkage Monday. Not sure if the NZ theme is too close to home. They also have a private room. The somm is a cool dude.

EDIT: I would like to attend.

Had dinner at Racines last week and it’s great food. Musket Room is another really good suggestion and perhaps better for a crowd. Both are very wine-centered.

I’ve had a number of nice evenings and meals at Amali on East 60th, including several dinners with WB folks (e.g., Jay). There’s no corkage on Mondays if you clear it first with the somm. Haven’t been there in a couple of years, though.

Musket, Amali & racines are good choices.

I would add a vote for the Milling Room. Merrill Lundquist organized a big gathering there last year. The food and service were very good, and they had lots of decanters. While it’s a big space, we were able to hold a good conversation. I think that was a Monday, too, and someone was able to negotiate no or low corkage.

Remember, Scott Bryan was still in the kitchen then. Has anyone tried it with the new chef?

I’m interested in attending.

Jason Hernandez

My daughter has and was disappointed. I don’t have any particulars to share but when I suggested going there Saturday, she said let’s go somewhere else.