TN: 2016 Hervé Souhaut Sainte-Epine

I saw this at a local wine store and thought, what the hell, let’s try a 2016 Souhaut St Epine. I had the 2015 about 8 months ago and thought it was quite good.

Popped and poured. Beautiful fragrant nose of a bouquet of red fruit with a touch of meaty notes and spices. Upon the first sip, immediately, my mouth started to fizz – quite spritzy. Not sure what to think, and not something I enjoy in red wines. There is definitely bright fruit with a sense of purity and elegance to it, but the spritziness detracts from what I think is a good wine. I left half of the bottle for the next day – day 2, nose was still floral, and the spritziness subsided, though you can still tell there is some present. Overall, a good example of St Joseph as I tend to like Souhaut’s style – just hoping my remaining bottles aren’t as spritzy.

These wines are great! But I’ve found they require a good decant to get rid of that spritz, especially in their youth

I would just stick the cork back in with a full glass poured out and shake the hell out of it a few times, then release the gas, and repeat a couple times. It won’t harm the wine. And might be faster than or complementary to a decant.

Give it the Fourrier shake!